Moving a hot tub

Old 04-14-08, 04:00 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving a hot tub

I need to move a 900lbs (7 sq ft) hot tub from NY to NJ. How can I move it? Is there any trick? I am going to need to move it over grassy terrain, so I'm not sure if rolling it over PVC piping will work.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-14-08, 04:32 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would use a trailer. NY to NJ is a long way to go with rolling PVC pipe.

Old 04-14-08, 04:35 PM
nap
just kidding.

relatively level ground? How far do you need to actually move it to get to the trailer?

Old 04-14-08, 05:24 PM
X
Trailer to Uhaul would work.

Probably have to go about 30 yards. Ground is not completely flat. Tree roots and slightly uphill.

Difficult part is that getting it into the new house I think the pathway is only about 3-4 wide. Can it safely be turned on its side?

Old 04-14-08, 06:04 PM
nap
Originally Posted by xer0derm View Post
Can it safely be turned on its side?
safely? sometimes you do not have a choice but it can damage the tub if it flexes too much.

I would try to find a manufacturers website or even a retailer (although I would guess they would want to move it for you, for a fee of course). There may be some direction from the manufacturer.

as to the trailer thing, I was meaning the trailer (that you are actually going to use a u-haul) to take it from NJ to NY.

dang, 30 yards? a mere 120 feet?

I would grab a couple of my friends and carry the thing with straps under the tub.

now, just so you don;t think I am nuts, I have several friends that are near 300 lbs and are not fat. If it weren;t for the knee injuries, they would be playing pro football.

4 guys would be 225 lbs apiece. Piece o' cake.

So anyway, how about laying down a couple sheets of plywood in conjunction with the rollers?

Old 04-15-08, 04:10 AM
X
Well by trailer I was thinking of a trailer bed. Flat bed with wheels under it, usually used to transport Snow Mobiles or Quads. That way I could lift it onto the trailer and wheel it out. My main problem is lifting it into the Uhaul. Unfortunately I do not have friends like you .

I need to get more info on the spa, but I was reading somwhere that some of the spas actually have one side that are meant to be layed down for transportation.

Old 04-15-08, 06:19 AM
nap
Originally Posted by xer0derm View Post

I need to get more info on the spa, but I was reading somwhere that some of the spas actually have one side that are meant to be layed down for transportation.
I believe youare right. Don't take this as gospel but if I remember correctly, you set it so the pump and mechanicals are on the bottom side.

if you can get thi thing on the snowmobile trailer, why don;t you just transport it on that instead of the U-haul?

Old 04-15-08, 09:07 AM
X
Because I don't think it's wide enough.
It's wide enough to roll it while guiding it, but not for securing it for highway travel.

If this turns out to be too much too work I just may hire a company. It would probably be cheaper than buying a trailer and a hydrolic lift.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: