Algae or moss in rock waterfall

Old 05-01-08, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Algae or moss in rock waterfall

I have noticed that green algae or moss is accumulating in the top reservoir of my rock waterfall. Is this anything to be concerned about? Was thinking of putting a half of a chlorine tablet or some shock in there. Input appreciated!

Thanks,

Flanders

Old 05-01-08, 07:03 PM
Be careful where you place chlorine tabs, you don't want them in contact with your surface. I am imaging your resevoir as a small pool of water??? You might want to use a floater in there, or depending on how you have your system set up, and if you have an auto chlorinator it might be able to be ran to that line. Pictures of what you have would be helpful.

Old 05-01-08, 07:14 PM
S
generally what happens as in your case, the water feature does not run every day, thus after a few days the water starts to grow algae & then when you do run the water feature the water with algae in it gets dumped into your pool & you have a very good chance of growing more & more, the best remedy is to run your water feature every day at least 10 minutes, you can program this into your automated system , jandy , compool, goldline { if you have one ] if not i suggest you install a time clock to control this , for you

steve

Old 05-01-08, 07:52 PM
T
There are also algae control products available. If you have plants, which many recommend because they take up the nutrients and usually starve out the algae, or fish, you can't use chlorine.

I don't know if you'd call them organic water feature gardeners or not, but they don't, of course, recommend the use of any chemicals. They recommend 60% of water surface covered with plants to provide shade and prevent algae. If waterfall is in a sunny location, algae will be a problem. Oxygenating grass provides oxygen and provides shade. A water lily or two can add interest. Not all water plants are legal in all states, so you'd need to check that out with a reputable nursery that provides plants for water gardens. They should also have barley to toss into the water feature. After a few days, it settles to the bottom and out of sight where it combats algae.

Old 05-01-08, 07:55 PM
alge will grow any where there is sunlight and water. moving or not. you will have to use some chemical treatment to keep it out but most will kill fish so be carefull if you plan on keeping fish in the feature.
true camper quotes" I think I can spot a deer I get up everymorning and watch cows."

Old 05-01-08, 08:30 PM
T
Algae tends to be greater where sun is greater. True. When wading the shaded pools when trout fishing, there is algae in the darkest, most shaded holes. Campers are very observant of such natural occurrences.

Campers also know that deer often graze with cows in open meadows. And, that deer are noted for making pretty much the same early morning and evening rounds in the same area. Unfortunately, their predictably can be life threatening.

I gave up counting deer intermingled with a herd of cattle after counting to 30. This was travelling through the WV mountains near Greenbank, WV. An awesome sight. Like campers, some love nature do not hunt. We camp and fish.

Old 05-05-08, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the waterfall empties into my swimming pool, so plants and fish are not an issue.

Be careful where you place chlorine tabs, you don't want them in contact with your surface. I am imaging your resevoir as a small pool of water???
If they are touching the rocks and not in any danger of contacting the pool surface (ultrapoz plaster) is that OK?

generally what happens as in your case, the water feature does not run every day, thus after a few days the water starts to grow algae & then when you do run the water feature the water with algae in it gets dumped into your pool & you have a very good chance of growing more & more, the best remedy is to run your water feature every day at least 10 minutes
I can program the waterfall with my pool pump. I shock the pool every weekend and run the pump for 8 hours, think I'm going to turn on the waterfall for those 8 hours as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: