Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Pool Heater - Pentair Minimax 100 - too hot!

Old 05-01-08, 04:20 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has run into this issue or has any suggestions. I have a Minimax 100 pool heater and the 1st 2 yrs it worked fine. Last year I had to replace the Ignition control DSI because it melted. I also replaced the Fusible link. After doing so the heater worked great for the balance of the summer, about 2 months. At roughly the last week or so of swim season (Ohio) the heater stopped firing again. Well, I stored for the winter knowing spring will be here and I'm getting ready to replace the parts again. So, my question.

Is there a way to keep the components inside protected from the heat that's generated?

BTW-the unit is out of warranty and Pentair has been less than helpful.

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-01-08, 08:00 PM
There is a safety in the panel, probably what you called a fusable link. It is suppose to cut heater off when heat gets too high in front compartment. Is it properly placed where it is suppose to be? I would remove top of heater and give the heat exchanger a good cleaning, being dirty will cause heat to build up.

Old 05-01-08, 08:03 PM
S
generally when the flame rolls out of the combustion area there is a problem with soot bridging the fins on the heat exchanger, remember if fire can't go up it will " roll out " & up the front of the heater where all the expensive controls are located, the fuseable link is suppose to melt thus shutting down the heater, in / on & below the burners look for a turquoise granular , this is a good indicator of the heat exchanger sooting up, also clean the burner orifices, using a bent piece of regular old bailing wire , if you have to remove the burner tray you can clean them at that time, also check your water by-pass the power ele go bad often & can cause the same problem also low gas pressure can cause this prob, you would need a manometer to check this. before you check anything be sure you have good water flow.

steve

Old 05-03-08, 02:49 PM
S
Thumbs up Thanks! Minimax 100 ready for warm weather

Well I finally found the time to disassemble the unit and found you both were right. The exchanger was really very dirty and caked with soot and corrosion. I cleaned everything really well. (took me over an hour) Once I receive and install the replacements electronics I should be good to go.

A follow up question. Any recommendations on how to prevent this from happening in the future?

Old 05-03-08, 03:25 PM
S
what can cause this, dirty / sooted heat exchanger, not allowing the given body of water enough time to bring the water temp up to the thermistat setting, dirty burners, not enough gas volume , or pressure, water velocity too high, example large pump mooving too much water, as in say a 2.0 or 3.0 hp pump cure would be to install a manual by-pass, bad water by-pass assy

steve

Old 05-03-08, 04:03 PM
LP or NAT gas ???

Old 05-04-08, 04:32 AM
S
Natural gas.

I will check my volumes & pressures and recalibrate to manfacturers specs.

Thanks,

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: