Pool Heater Selection

Old 05-02-08, 02:00 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool Heater Selection

I need to buy a new in-ground pool heater with a capacity of about 250,000 BTU. Which brands are good and which should I avoid? Is there a website with pool heater rankings and/or buyer testimonials? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-08, 05:10 PM
These days most heaters are built pretty good depending on your price range and the efficiency of the heater. Better efficiency = more money. Teleydyne Laars has always been my personal preference.

Old 05-03-08, 08:01 AM
H
What type of heater are you looking to get? Gas, oil, electric? Gas heaters were at one time the most efficient although with prices these days who knows. With an electric heater you can sit and watch the electric meter spin away when it's being used.

Out of the popular brands of gas heaters Hayward, Raypak, Jandy (formally Teledyne Laars) and Pentair my personal favorite is Hayward. I thinks the Teledyne heaters went down in quality since Jandy took them over but that's just my opinion.

Note, I do not own a pool heater I'm basing my opinion on servicing the above heaters. The prices of all are in the same ball park for the style of heaters (millivolt, electronic ign, Low NOx, etc).

If you plan on getting a heater maintaining your water chemistry will be of up most importance. Improperly balanced water chemistry will ruin the heat exchanger of the heater.

Old 05-03-08, 02:38 PM
S
all the heaters presently on the market, are expensive to buy and if they have a fan , even more expensive, however you may not have any say in this matter as more & more cities, countys, & states are requiring lean burning heaters, what would be advantageous for you would be to find out what the predominate brands are in your area, & choose from one of those due to the fact of when not if . your heater needs repairing you want a brand that most suppliers in your local , stock parts & the technicians are familar with,

and on this point let me emphasize not letting just anyone service / repair your heater , all heaters are technical & can be complicated, all parts are very expensive, its not uncommon to pay $700.00 for a heater repair , so do yourself a favor hire a qualified technitian and not a parts replacer.

steve

p/s if they sell sta-rite maxi-therm heaters in your area , that would be my choice ,

Old 05-04-08, 04:17 AM
H
Stevie is right about some states requiring the Low NOx (Nitrogen Oxide) models. To date California and Texas are the only two but a check of your local building department would be in order as local jurisdiction would have the final say. If your area does not require low NOx it will save you roughly $750 to $1000.

If you were to get a low NOx model, the Sta Rite (made by Pentair) is probably the way to go contradicting what I said earlier. If you were going to go with any other type of gas heater I would stick with Hayward.

Old 05-04-08, 06:08 AM
M
Also, in some states including Texas, anything at or over 200,000 btu falls under boiler code regulations. If your state does you may want to consider whether or not you are willing to deal with the boiler codes.

Old 05-06-08, 10:53 AM
V
Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward Hayward gas heaters myself. I have a decent experience with an old (Raypak) milivolt unit, but was told that electronic ignition is better. However, I believe that electronic stuff is more likely to break, resulting in costly repairs. Also, winters in Illinois are harsh. By the way, Hayward has another model with "hot surface" ignition.

What are the pros and cons of various ignition systems? Thanks.

Old 05-06-08, 04:04 PM
H
Originally Posted by vfaen View Post
What are the pros and cons of various ignition systems? Thanks.
The pros and cons of millivolt systems are as follows: Con is constantly burning pilot therefor using more gas. The Pros are less cost to repair when the ignition system goes bad. No electric to operate.

Electronic control systems require an outside source of electric to operate. Repairs are usually more costly. However there is no constant burning pilot.

Millivolt systems are cheaper also.