Changing out pool motor

Old 05-10-08, 12:42 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing out pool motor

Hi,

I'm trying to replace the motor that burned out (my vacation help wasn't keeping track of the water level); I tried removing the 4 bolts holding it on, and it isn't budging; Do I need holy water or something? appreciate any help you may have.

John

Old 05-10-08, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 53 Posts
Depends on the pump/motor model probably, but generally the four bolts holding the motor to the pump housing should be the only thing holding it on. What make/model is it? Be sure you have a complete gasket set for reassembly. Just had to do mine last week ; had a bearing start to whine on a pump only a little over a year old. Ordered a new pump and I also found replacement bearings to fix the old one as a spare.

Old 05-10-08, 06:53 AM
What kind is it? What 4 bolts did you remove? As tow guy said, do you have gaskets? You will also need a new seal.

Old 05-12-08, 09:14 AM
J
Changing out a motor

Wow you guys are fast....Here are some details: The Pump is 1.5 HP (Anthony); I'm guessing it isn't coming off because it froze?? (The motor was running while the level dropped)

Old 05-12-08, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Shouldn't make any difference unless there is some kind of weird configuration. If the motor on my pump was a smoldering, half-melted lump of parts I think it would still come off with just four bolts.

Does your setup look anything like this:

http://secure.poolcenter.com/prodinf...LAID=143579398

or does the motor bolt up directly to the pump housing and not have an item like the part numbered #6? That would look more like this:

http://www.poolsinc.com/pd_anp3.html

Old 05-14-08, 04:35 AM
J
Changing out a motor

Nice Tow-Guy....

At first glance, the first pix looks identical (at least from the outside, which is all I see); But after looking at the others for a few hours, I don't necessarily see a difference in the other blowups (again from the outside; I can't see the seals/impeller). The first one looks like a clearer drawing. It is a 1 1/2 hp motor. The 4 bolts are surrounding the 4 corners of the motor as it attaches to the trap body.

Old 05-14-08, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
The differnce in the two drawings is that intermediate section on the first one and the short shaft extension that appears to be secured with several set screws. The second drawing does have that. Mine is basically like the second drawing; once you remove the four bolts the pump pulls right off the housing. To remove the impeller I then have to remove the end cap and slip a 7/16" wrench on flats on the shaft and the impeller spins right off the shaft threads. In the first drawing setup it looks like if you unbolt the motor from that intermediate section you would not be able to withdraw it because the impeller would still be attached on the other side. You would have to either remove the set screws so the shaft would separate or unbolt that intermediate section so the whole pump/impeller assemby would come loose.

Old 05-16-08, 12:30 PM
J
changing out pool motor

Noticed I need to duplicate the motor I remove....More details on the plate I didn't think was necessary: Motor mod: K48L2PA105; ALT 01; Ser 1/92; KW 1.1; Volts: 115/230; MPS 16.0/8.0 AMB 50 C; FR 48Y Hz 60 S.F. 1.1 A.O. Smith Corp. Thanks for your pix and advice TG, I'm still not getting the motor off...Do I maybe need to cut thru a water line from the other side? Also, Is there a reliable/not too overpriced store that sells these motors out here (N. Cal). Thanks JK

Old 05-16-08, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
A.O. Smith is a pretty common motor; it's what I took off my pump. I actually replaced it with a different brand that was slightly more, but has a two year warranty. I'm going to replace the bearings in the old one and keep it for a spare.

Got mine here:

http://www.discountpoolzone.com/poolmotor/motors.html

but they're in FL. Looks like yours would be the USQ1152 (that's a guess), about $150 for the low-priced job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: