Vinyl Pool Coping Question

Old 05-18-08, 07:05 AM
Vinyl Pool Coping Question

I have a 16x32 in-ground vinyl pool with a concrete deck surrounding it. We had the liner redone four or five years ago, so we're not looking to replace it yet. It's a very old pool, at least forty years old I believe. The previous owners had the old wooden walls replace with steel walls about 20 years ago, but they never had the lines redone. The last few years I can expect the return lines to break at least once a year in one place or another. (And yes, the lines are all blown out and filled with antifreeze every winter. I live on Long Island)

At the moment I'm considering demoing some of the concrete and laying new return lines myself. My concern is that I don't really know how the pool liner is attached or held up. At the moment I have this sort of rounded white coping that wraps around the edges of the concrete and sits on it. What I need to know is this: Is that coping merely decorative, and the liner is attached some other way? Or is the coping structural, and helping the liner hang off the concrete deck? The last thing I want to do is start demoing the concrete and cause the liner to sag into the pool. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-08, 08:05 AM
Coping is actually holding liner in place. However it should be attached to the wall of the pool. If it was replaced properly, you would be able to remove all the concrete up to the coping. The coping is self supporting with the wall.
You shouldn't have to remove all concrete, you can cut a 12 inch wide strip from side of pool where you want to replace aline and back to the dirt. No need to remove all concrete unless you just want to. Good luck..

Old 09-01-08, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by todrut View Post
Coping is actually holding liner in place. However it should be attached to the wall of the pool. If it was replaced properly, you would be able to remove all the concrete up to the coping. The coping is self supporting with the wall.
You shouldn't have to remove all concrete, you can cut a 12 inch wide strip from side of pool where you want to replace aline and back to the dirt. No need to remove all concrete unless you just want to. Good luck..
So what do I do when I want to replace the actual coping itself? Mine sounds VERY similar to the op's (age, structure, type, etc) My coping is terrible but lines & liner are pretty new (less then 3 years old) One person told me to just do a fiberglass cloth/resin covering on the whole thing.... any advice?