Sandy pool bottom using D.E. filter

Old 05-29-08, 08:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sandy pool bottom using D.E. filter

Can anyone tell me if its time to change my D.E. filter?

last summer i noticed a sandy bottom just one day after vacuuming pool, and while its not regular sand im sure. i believe its D.E. getting pumped in from the filter.

so this year i dismantled the filter, and cleaned and replaced all the noodles in the filter and now, after running filter one day afer vacuuming, again i see the sandy bottom!

i just dont think the filter is doing just that, filtering anymore?

Old 05-30-08, 04:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Couple of possibilities; one or more bad grid(s) and/or worn/broken seal inside the selector valve. I had both problems within the last couple of years. The bad grids allowed DE powder to flow into the pool and the bad seal in the selector, if I remember correctly, allowed backflow of water and DE into the pool when the pump was off. Check the other thread running here about DE filters. Since you replaced the grids probably not that. Couple of o-rings involved that could be bad, though. When I had the bad seal in the selector it was real noticeable. Everything looked fine, but when the pump shut off about 5 or 10 seconds later there was a significant puff of DE-saturated water visible at the main drain. I chased my tail for a couple of weeks and had already fixed the problem, in a roundabout sort of way by installing a checkvalve to prevent backflow, when I stumbled across (or someone suggested) the selector valve seal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: