pool pump timer wiring

Old 06-01-08, 11:22 AM
pool pump timer wiring

I have a pool pump that is 1 hp and 12 Amps. The pump manual says to use 12 gauge extension wire to plug it into. I recently bought a timer for it, but the timer has a 1' 14 gauge wire. But, the timer says it can handle up to 15 Amps. Is it okay to use this timer with the pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-08, 11:37 AM
If timer states it can handle 15amps, you are ok. The 14g wire is a very short run which will have no effect.

Old 06-01-08, 02:28 PM
RE: 12-gauge Extension cord

Although a short 14-gauge extension cord can handle up to 15 amps, the length of the cord is the determining factor. The longer the run, the lower the gauge. That's why you see short 14-gauge extension cords rated at 15 amps, while longer versions of the same gauge cable will be rated for less amperage.

The pump manufacturer is probably expecting the pump to be some distance away from a receptacle, so they require a 12-gauge extension cord.

If you're new to pools and electricity, a couple of caveats come to mind:
-- Make sure the timer and extension cords are rated for outdoor use.
-- Make sure the receptacle you're plugging into is a GFCI, or it's downstream of a GFCI.
-- My pool's (dedicated) filter circuit is never powered whenever anyone is in or around the pool. It's on a timer and runs only at night. If we have a late-night party, I manually switch it off until the party's over.

My thinking is, why take any chances?

Old 06-01-08, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
I have a pool pump that is 1 hp and 12 Amps. The pump manual says to use 12 gauge extension wire to plug it into. I recently bought a timer for it, but the timer has a 1' 14 gauge wire. But, the timer says it can handle up to 15 Amps. Is it okay to use this timer with the pump?
I didn't install the pump/filter, so I'm not that familiar with it. I just realized that the extension cord to the pump is 14 gauge. I will try to measure the length, but it's probably at least a 10' cord (that length is not really needed). It is on a GFIC. The extension cord is water proof, and the timer is supposed to be for outdoor use as well.

It's strange, though, because the pump says for the 1 hp version (which I have) to use a 12 gauge for 0 - 15' run. I'm wondering why the previous owner would use a 14 gauge. The pool / pump are about 6 years old without issues, and I've run the pump for 3 days straight at times (when I'm adding chemicals).