Depressions in the pool floor

Old 06-02-08, 09:06 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depressions in the pool floor

I am a civil engineer. As such, I expect the same degree of perfection as is generally expected in my work. Ihave a 20 x 40 above ground pool which has been up for about five years. The initial installation of the pool went badly. The pool was not setup in the specified spot and misaligned with the side of my house. Rather than take down the pool and start over, the installers moved the main supports by sliding them in the sand base and repacking the sand. The rest of the construction went down hill from that point on. The decks and railing did no fit and alot of pushing shimming and jiggling was required to make things fit. This created soft pockets in the sand base under the liner that were not apparent until they filled the pool. The weight of the water compacted the sand making depressions in the liner on the pool floor. The installers refused to remedy this problem. They claimed that it was not uncommon and it didn't pose any risk of breaking the liner. I ran them off, only paid half the contracted price, and never heard from them again. The depressions seem to be getting worse every year. Some are about the size of tennis ball and just as deep. I don't have any leaks yet, but I am concerned. It costs about $1000 to fill my pool. Is there a way to fill the voids in the sand without draining the pool? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-08, 09:18 AM
Those depressions are generaly caused by leaks, are you sure liner does not have pin holes at depressions? Unfortunately there is not a way to fill in indentions while water is in pool.

Old 06-02-08, 09:28 AM
G
No appreciable lose of water.

I don't seem to be losing any water. My water level is relatively constant. I guess I'll have to live with the depression of having depressions.

Old 06-02-08, 01:02 PM
sounds like they didn't put enough sand for a base. when we indstalled AB. ground pools we used a 6-8" sand bed. It depended on the compaction of the ground .

I've seen some installers use a vermiculite and cement mixture like in inground pools, it is more expensive but makes for a more rigid bottom. However it can get indentions from settelling and possible foot traffic.

You just need to watch for roots and such coming in from the bottom. If and when you decide to repalce the liner then you can correct the poor installion.

Old 06-03-08, 04:50 AM
G
Your help is appreciated

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions. DIY is a great service. I use it's forums for a variety of issues. Thanks again and keep DOING IT.

Greg