closing pool in hot weather

Old 06-07-08, 09:18 AM
closing pool in hot weather

We will be out of town for 4 weeks in July and August and would like to close our above ground 24 ft. round pool until we return. We don't want to saddle a friend or neighbor with the responsibility of our pool maintenence. Locust leaves fall all summer long and need to be cleaned out EVERY DAY and we don't want to run the filter all the time and add chemicals to an unused pool.

Can we give it a strong dose of chlorine and cover it and forget it?

The weather around here will probably in the 90's most of the time.

I will be home several times during the 4 weeks but will not be using the pool, but would be able to run the filter.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-08, 09:38 AM
I have never maintained a pools chemicals or even cleaned a pool!! You homeowners got one up on this equipment guy! But I do know as you should. That a large amount of chlorine dumped in the water simply will disapate. the warmer the water the faster the loss of Chlorine. Now I have seen some very nasty pools, where the homeowners had a failer and the pool turned swamp like over even a few months. But after giving a seminar for some service guys, I sat down at the bar.. (imagine that) later, and had such a discussion with some of the cleaner folks.. to my suprise I had learned a little something. Any thing that will grow in your pool can and will be removed with chemicals and alot of filter cleanings.. it takes more work to get it back in order but the results are as before you last maintained it.. so really its up to you if you want to save running the pump and just adding a floating chemical feeder in lue of having to do the clean up afterwards.

I'm sure you will get a better answer from those who maintain pools/ spas but just my second hand 2 cents

Good Luck

Richard