Salt Generator with low ppm?

Old 06-07-08, 10:08 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Salt Generator with low ppm?

We are looking at salt sytems for our inground pool. I know that each brand requires a different ppm of salt to function properly, and that the range is from about 2500-6000. We want one in the 3000 range (hate hate hate the taste of salt!). Does anyone have a system that operates in this range? If so, I'd love any information about which one it is, how well it works and so on.

Thanks,
Amber

Old 06-07-08, 10:49 AM
Amber,

Most every manufacturer’s product will operate within that range 3200-3600 ppm , the salt taste is similar to a tear coming down your cheek. You will love the feel of the "soft, silky" water and the “less” work involved keeping your water balanced. Check into your pool size requirements and select a unit with a larger rating than what you need. It’s a small price to upgrade and have something that will keep up to whatever demand you require of it not to mention, A longer cell Life.

All of the manufacturers have the same components. Simply turning salt, through electrolysis, into Chlorine and Nitrogen gasses. The salt you add to the water will always be there! It can’t evaporate, but can be lost with rain, causing overflow or splashing it out of the pool / spa.

I have worked on all of them, but do prefer the Pentair line. Just remember , whichever you go with . take the cell out of line every 3 months minimum and hose out any “scale” that might be there.. When You catch it in its soft stage, it will have the consistency of tooth paste. If it is allowed to harden you have to give it an acid bath (not preferred) as it strips the coating off the titanium plates in the cell.. If it MUST be done use a 5 to 1 mix, 5 parts water and one part, muratic acid. No longer than 5-7 min tops.. or when bubbling stops.

Good luck and you will find that purchase to be well worth the investment

Richard

Old 06-07-08, 10:54 AM
S
auto-pilot digital would be my recommendation, full readout, tells you how much salt to add , after you calibrate [ when you install] you can set different reversing times, has a 24 hr. & 72 hr. super boost mode, and the after cost of cells is not nearly as expensive as some, no eye irratation, no salt taste,

ive installed probably, 100 of these units and many of the other different brands, if i had a pool this is the unit i would buy.

steve

Old 06-07-08, 12:14 PM
Sorry, can't agree with stevie, I worked for autopilot and they make a cheap product, cutting cost and corners everywhere they can. The hayward model is my recommendation...

Old 06-07-08, 04:09 PM
S
todrut, im sorry your experrience was so bad, what yrs., models were you refering to ? I have found problems with all manufactures equipment , right out of the box from time to time, but have seen very good, service, warranty acceptance & verry minimal problems with auto-pilot in comparison with some of the other manufactures,
and like i said i have been installing them for more than 7 yrs. the early soft touch were not nearly as good or dependable as the digital, but i cannot complain.

best regards,

steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: