pump loosing efficiency?

Old 06-09-08, 07:15 AM
pump loosing efficiency?

i have a 1.5hp Hayward Superpump about 9 years old. everything appears that i would need a new pump as my return water pressure is low and my polaris cleaner is not functioning. my filter was cleaned out 2 times and i have also run the system on recirculate which does not make much difference. i had all the seals on the pump re-done and re-attached to my system yet it still opperates the same. Also the filter pump basket did not loose any water overnight. it appears that i woud need a new unit however . the pump sounds perfectly normal and the tech person who re-gasketed the pump said that the pump is an electric unit and eihter works or not. he checke the impeller which was ok also. my questtion is ---can a pump loose efficeincy over time and start running slower etc. would it need to be rebiilt if it sounds normal and would a new pump cost much less to run? also if not the pump what else could it be maybe line voltage? (havent checked that) or a root or obstruction in the lines (also the pool is holding water).
thanks,
Stan

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-08, 09:08 AM
I would have said impellar is stopped up, but you said it was cleaned. Was it done properly? You have an obstruction or some problem other than pump loosing efficiency. You can put water pipe in pump basket with lid off and switch pump on and off. If water pulls down very quickly it is not your pump.

Old 06-09-08, 11:49 AM
Things are pointing towars line clog or low voltage to pump. impellar was checked and pump seals (plugs/gaskets and intake gasket checked etc.) i have a pool teck. coming to check things out.

Old 06-09-08, 12:42 PM
Is there a pressure gauge on the filter? And is it reading much lower than normal, indication blockage on the suction side of the pump, or is it reading much higher than normal, indication blockage after the pump?