Object between Vinyl Liner & Poolcrete

Old 06-10-08, 03:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Object between Vinyl Liner & Poolcrete

New inground pool with a 20 mil vinyl liner. Pool was completed less than a month ago so it is still under the contractor's 1 year warranty, but he has been paid 100%. I have found three places (may be more) in the bottom of the pool where there is something that feels like a pebble between the liner and the poolcrete bottom. The object is no bigger than the diameter of a pencil, but feel angular rather than rounded. I'm concerned about one of the objects ripping the liner and me holding the bag for a new liner down the round when the contractor is long gone and the warranty is expired. Do the liners loose their elasticity over time? Any suggestions to fix these areas? How many years should a 20 mil liner last?

Old 06-10-08, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Call them back, call them back, call them back! Get it in writing if they think its not a problem.

Old 06-10-08, 07:04 PM
We called the contractor. The owner's son, who does all the pool maintenance for the company, told us it was probably a piece of poolcrete and that we were not to try and smash it, but to " massage" it to make it break up. I'm not willing to take on that liablility. I feel the company should come fix it. I'd like to get an opinion from an expert before I start firing off letters to state my issue, and to have something in writing that I notified the contractor of the issue. So, is this a common occurrence, and what affect should it have on the lifetime of the liner?

Old 06-10-08, 07:19 PM
A small piece of something under liner is pretty common, usually nothing that can not be fixed, he is correct to tell you to massage it. But you're correct for wanting them to come do it. They should be happy to do it as they just built the pool. If you have a pool cleaner it could wear out that spot and puncture.

Old 06-11-08, 08:32 AM
I guess I will just keep calling until they do come out and fix it. Thanks for the reply. I plan on sending a letter along with a pool plan to the contractor showing the location of the known objects to date.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: