Question with DIY solar system

Old 06-14-08, 10:03 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question with DIY solar system

I'm building a DIY solar system with a Hayward 1.5hp pump.
Pumping water 10 feet high to a roof with 1.5" plastic pipe into 4 half inch black plastic collectors. My question is, the pump strainer housing doesn't fill itself totally as if it was pumping air but it's not (so when I shut the pump down, it's de-priming itself). Could my problem be the fact that I'm pumping throught 1.5" inch into a total of 2" tubing on the roof?
Thanks

Old 06-14-08, 11:57 AM
Is it possible you have a leak in your suction plumbing? How far above pool level is pump? Filter clean?? What hayward pump is it? Might not have enough head...

Old 06-14-08, 01:22 PM
M
Hi Again Tudrot. No leak in the suction side that I can hear even if I put my ear right next to the elbow. I'd say the pump is at 6"-8" from the water level. The pump is a Hayward Turbo Flow model 2175X15. No filter on the solar system, it's a second circuit with it's own pump. If I hook a plain 1.5" sump pump hose inlet and outlet and start the pump, the pump primes itself normally and can throw water for 3 feet straight. So I'm at a lost here as to why it's not working.

Old 06-14-08, 01:49 PM
Please verify the model# of pump, have not heard of Turbo flow nor can I find the model # you sent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: