Laying new pipe

Old 06-17-08, 10:35 AM
Laying new pipe

Hi
I have an inground pool that developed leaks in both the skimmer line and main drain line (most likely from the pool company doing a poor job of shutting it down for the winter but thats another story). Since it difficult to get a leak detection company in this corner of Canada and avoid digging thru concrete, i decided to lay down new pipe from the skimmer to the pool house and drop a line on the side to replace the main drain. The question is whether to drill/dig through a retaining wall about two feet wide to get to the pool house or simply route the pipe over the wall in which case the height of the pipe over the wall will be about a foot above the height of my pump and whether the pump can pull thru this or not. My feeling is that the pump should be able to do this but i'm not sure and would appreciate any insight.

Thanks for your advice.

(the pump was installed in 2003 before we bought the house and is sta-rite 1hp and is about 50 feet from the skimmer and 'new' main line

Last edited by samer; 06-17-08 at 10:40 AM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-08, 10:53 AM
The pump will pull the water up and over, the only thing is priming the pump will probably take a little longer.

Old 06-17-08, 06:03 PM
as todrut said, no problem, as far as priming goes install a jandy 2 " check valve on the suction side of the pump & be sure to install unions on suction & discharge sides of pump , all mechanical things will need servicing at some point in time.
I would recommend 2 " pvc pipe

steve

Old 06-18-08, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the input. I wish i could use pvc pipe but the only access to the skimmer under the deck is by using flex poly (which doesnt flex very well when its only 16C ). I hope by using double clamps all all joins, it will be ok.

Samer

Old 06-18-08, 05:36 PM
Their is a pvc flex pipe available. Much better than poly.

Old 06-24-08, 05:50 AM
The way tour doing it with flex pipe and clamps is going to leak more after you try and fix it than before. Unless you use Flexible PVC Schedule 40 with glued fittings. Why cant you get to the skimmer? Also, I seriously doubt main drain is broke due to freeze break since it is way below frost line. Did they plumb main drain into skimmer or did they do it the right way and dedicated a seperate line?