pool heat pump pressure switch

Old 06-30-08, 10:26 AM
pool heat pump pressure switch

I have a Swimrite (Peregrine Industries, now out of business) T1250 heat pump. The "FLO" light flashes indicating low flow. There is flow, so I jumped the pressure switch and everything works fine. The switch has a vinyl tube with 1/8" i.d. supplying water to it from the inlet to the heat pump. Can I use a universal type switch(such as one of the "Len Gordon" switches I've seen online) to replace this? It is open when flow is low, closed when flow in on. Any suggestions and cautions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-08, 12:28 PM
Even though there is flow, it may not be enough for the proper function of heat pump. Make sure the flow is good before replacing switch and NEVER leave it bypassed as this could damage heater. Yes you can use a universal switch as long as it is set for same pressure.

Old 06-30-08, 12:53 PM
confused

Originally Posted by todrut View Post
Even though there is flow, it may not be enough for the proper function of heat pump. Make sure the flow is good before replacing switch and NEVER leave it bypassed as this could damage heater. Yes you can use a universal switch as long as it is set for same pressure.
The flow is reduced compared to by-passing the heat pump, but it is still reasonable. I'm not sure what could be reducing the flow or how to correct that, maybe scale inside the heat exchanger? how would i find out the pressure setting since the swimrite heat pump by peregrine is out of business? I see len gordon universal pressure switches and they say 1-5 psi, but there is also a 15-30 psi switch available. My filter gauge says typically 20-30 psi. Which switch would be useable, if any? this is all sort of confusing, I hope you can shed some light on it.

Old 07-01-08, 08:27 AM
pressure limit

For a heat pump inline with a 1 1/2 hp hayward pump, and d.e. filter (pressure gauge usually reads 20-30), what pressure limit would I use when I am replacing the pressure switch? I see Len Gordon switches rated 1-5 psi, but also 15-30 psi. The brand of heat pump I have is out of business, so I can't ask the manufacturer. thanks in advance for any advice

Old 07-01-08, 10:15 AM
the 1-5 should work fine.

Old 07-01-08, 08:54 PM
Please DO NOT try to adjust the pressure switch unless you know 100% what you are doing. It is never advisable to adjust it as very easily you can burn down your house or what ever is near heater when it burns up.

Old 07-08-08, 01:19 PM
1-5 pressure switch

Originally Posted by todrut View Post
the 1-5 should work fine.
Thanks for the input. I've ordered a universal pressure switch rated 1-5 psi and it is nice to have that information confirmed. I'll check the heat pump after installing this switch to make sure it does cut off when flow is interupted. Again, thanks for the info, and I'll post my results once it is installed.