Leaking jets in gunite hot tub

Old 07-02-08, 02:19 PM
Leaking jets in gunite hot tub

I have a Blue Haven gunite pool with an attached gunite hot tub. The jets in the hot tub leak. The pipes that supply water to the jets go through 8 to 10 inches of concrete and gunite. Blue Haven told me you have to tear out the concrete and gunite, front and back, replace the jet and rebuild the concrete and guntie. The cost.......$1400.00 per jet. Is there a less expensive or do it yourself way?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-08, 02:40 PM
Not really a diy job unless you have some experience. 1400 sounds high, I would call local builders and get estimates. Good luck...

Old 07-02-08, 05:40 PM
1. how many jets do you have ?

2. what makes you believe they are leaking ?

3. have you had a pressure test on the spa jet loop ?

4. if indeed someone found a leak, did they actually tell you all the jets were leaking ? or just one , two . ?

5. if so, did you get a second or third opinion ?

you wouldn't believe how many jobs ive been to & found, erroneous diagnoses, shoddy work, or out & out fraud.

post back with more details, size of spa , size of your spa dam, how many jets, are there any jets in the spa dam wall,
this is the wall between the pool & spa. are the any jets in the foot well area ? remember a water return is not a jet.

steve

Old 07-07-08, 06:28 PM
1. how many jets do you have ? 4

2. what makes you believe they are leaking ? I saw the leak at the back of one jet after I dug down to it

3. have you had a pressure test on the spa jet loop ? No

4. if indeed someone found a leak, did they actually tell you all the jets were leaking ? or just one , two . ? I do not know how many are leaking, I only dug down to one

5. if so, did you get a second or third opinion ? No

you wouldn't believe how many jobs ive been to & found, erroneous diagnoses, shoddy work, or out & out fraud.

post back with more details, size of spa , size of your spa dam, how many jets, are there any jets in the spa dam wall,
this is the wall between the pool & spa. are the any jets in the foot well area ? remember a water return is not a jet.

Spa is octagon shaped approx 6 feet across, 4 jets, no jets in spa dam, dam is approx 8 inches, jets are all in sides of spa and there are two drain openings

steve

Old 07-09-08, 06:24 AM
replacing a jet in a gunite spa is not the kind of job i would suggest for a diy , however all things are possible depending on the individules ability,

that said replacing one jet only, is a lot harder than to abandon the existing 4 jets & install 4 new jets, you would have to study up on plumbing of the jets, i would suggest you hire a qualified repair / installer to tutor you and then you perform the actual work , if you have to pay $500.00 to $1000.00 for his service you would still come out ahead. as far as money goes, a core drill & bit would run less than $100.00 at home depot, if you core drill from the inside out , most jets use 1 " piping [ cost $6.00 retail ] to go through the wall , & some have a 1 1/2 " o.d. directional fitting glued on & flush with the finished plaster, you don't have to add the directional fitting, but it does allow you to adjust the direction of the water from the individule jet.

or the are numerous jets that pulsate, rotate, i was refering to the most simplist type jet out there .

also, when drilling your holes , you normally have rebar 1 ft. on center, if you hit one you should abandon that location & shift left or right / up or down 2 " & of course that hole will have to be patched.

last, if you only have 1 jet that needs to be replaced & the repair person is fully qualified, [ get references & only hire a licensed contractor] $1200.00 per jet is not that bad , i would not do it for that price, & if you do undertake replacing just one jet you will definitely get an education your not aware of, an experience you won't like.

steve