Century pool / jetted tub pump

Old 07-08-08, 05:25 PM
Century pool / jetted tub pump

Hello,

I have a 1.5 hp century pool / jetted tub motor (part 7-177894-24) that is starting to act up. For the last few months, it has been turning itself off for an hour or so during the day, then will fire back up for a couple more hours. I have figured that there is an internal thermal cutoff or something and this process was protecting the motor.

Now it is making a bit of a squeeling noise and also is cutting off more frequently. It is, however, nearly 100 degrees everyday so maybe this is normal? I wouldent have thought as much of it but the squeeling noise is bothersome.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 06:18 PM
Bearings are probably going bad, needs to be rebuilt or a replacement motor purchased.

Old 07-08-08, 06:52 PM
Which course of action would you recommend? I.e. am I going to be spending nearly as much to rebuild it as a new one would just be? I live in a pretty good sized city (Salt Lake City) so there are plenty of places that would be more than happy to rebuild........ Also, is rebuilding it yourself a good project for a do-it-yourselfer?

Old 07-09-08, 05:47 AM
You could DIY depending on your own skills. I have always replaced the motor (and seal). Rebuilding them usually cost about a 1/3 of a new one, but you get 1yr warranty on new and usually 30 days on rebuild. Shop around and determine what is best for you.

Old 07-09-08, 11:15 AM
cost

I called a pool place that I use and they said it would not exceed $150 to rebuild the pump, and that because my pump was a "square faced?" pump it retails for near $400. Does this seem reasonable?

Old 07-09-08, 02:58 PM
No, sounds very high. You should go directly to an electrical shop that rebuilds motors not through pool store, should be about 80.00. A new one should be around 200.00 sounds like they are pricing a whole new pump and motor.

Old 08-05-08, 03:35 PM
pump cost

Check the warranty, A O Smith the one that makes the motor for century pumps has a two year warranty on pool pumps.

Also if you are buying a new pump / motor, check online / first on prices before you commit to a pool co. price!!
Check around your home town for electric motor repairers.
They will be cheaper than a pool supply house.

Go online with your motor numbers and check out A O Smith.

I have a similar problem with our pool motor, it is growling and hard to start. It is a replacement from the pool place where we bought our new pool two years ago. That makes one a year, they wacked me 80 bucks last year, for this one now we are at it again.
It ran a total of 2 1/2 months last year, and 3 months this year.
good track record!!

Papa Tait Seekonk,Ma.