Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Pump Replacement Versus Just Motor Replacement

Old 07-13-08, 09:35 AM

I am trying to help my sister get her pool back online. She has a small Jacuzzi pump and filter system. I think they are about ten years old. The pump motor is definitely a goner. My question is what determines if I should get a whole new pump or just a new motor in a situation like this?
Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-08, 12:06 PM
depends on the condition of pump. If pump is in good shape then just replace motor and seal.

Old 07-13-08, 12:59 PM
Inspection Points for Pool Pump

Thank you for your response. Can you tell me what I should look for when I disassemble the pump, things that will tell me that a new pump is needed? How many years of use does a regular pump get before it needs to be replaced, generally?

Appreciatively...

Last edited by ngriffis; 07-13-08 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 01:51 PM
How was it pumping? Leaks? Noises? of course take away the motor issues.

Old 07-13-08, 02:05 PM
Replacing Pump versus just motor

The pump has not run for the past five years. It ran fine then, I believe. So, I cannot tell you how the pump runs now without putting a new motor in it and that defeats trying to decide between the necessity of a new motor versus replacing the whole pump. Is there any signs to look for when I dissemble pump that will tell me this one is past its' prime?

Old 07-13-08, 04:50 PM
Not really any signs, is it above groun or in ground pool?

Old 07-13-08, 05:23 PM
In ground >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Old 07-13-08, 06:19 PM
It is really a judgement call with out seeing it I would go with a new pump and motor.

Old 07-13-08, 08:06 PM
No worth the risk

Thanks, todrut. Experience beats guessing every time. After getting a new screen, seal, impeller, motor, putting in the labor, etcetera and then taking the chance of having the elderly pump crack, split or any other similar finish, I can see the wisdom in your advice. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Old 07-14-08, 12:58 PM
Did you even try to turn on pump? They usually are locked up after sitting for that long and you can free them up by turning shaft of motor. You didnt really saw what it was doing?

Old 07-14-08, 01:29 PM
You are correct, I did not try to turn the pump. The motor is frozen and pops the circuit breaker. The pump has sat in Fla sun and rain without use for more than 5 years. I think it is time for a new motor for sure. From what I can see from other threads and todrut's comments, it is not worth the effort, cost and risk to replace only the motor when dealing with a ten year old pump. At least that is what I understand so far.

Old 07-14-08, 08:47 PM
todrut gave you good advise, the jacuzzi brand of pumps left a lot to be desired, they are now out of business, go with a good quality pump, such as pentair whisperflow, you can generally down size 1/2 to 1 hp. & still get the performance you were used to, if you have a spa sharing the one pump configuration , stay with the same hp , as a rule of thumb

you need 2 1/2 " suction in order to supply enough water for a 2 hp whisperflow , and 3" suction to supply enough water for a 3 hp. whisperflow .

steve