Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

preventing Tub from freezing in winter with extended power outage

Old 07-17-08, 06:30 AM

Ya, its early to be thinking about winter, but with all that has occurred up here, and the threat of prolonged power outages.............

Well, recently, we were without power for 5 week, So I got a generator. I can turn off the A/C and Hot tub, but what if this happens in the winter? the hot tub draws 30 amps when the heater is on
If power is lost for a length of time, I donít want a large ice block in the back yard!

I was thinking of getting a 100-watt or so ( so far I have seen 100-watt and 1000 watt) tank de-ice which I could toss into the water when power is lost. The generator could handle that.

Its a 455 gal. hot tub. I was told that the tub should last 3-4 days before the water gets down to freezing. By tossing this de-icer in, it should keep the water above freezing.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-08, 07:55 AM
It is dependant on what kind of tub you have and how it is insulated. Keep in mind that the plumbing, heater, and pump will freeze before the actual body of water without any circulation.

Old 07-17-08, 01:22 PM
Mmmm.. sounds like I'm out of luck if the power is out for an extended period of time in the winter. Well, It was a thought.
Thanks.
Does anyone have ideas what to do? ( A 10kw generator just to keep the HT running is alot of money!)