Chlorine generator cell replacement

Old 07-22-08, 02:52 PM
Chlorine generator cell replacement

I am told that Cl- generator cells last about 3-5 years. Cost $300 to $700 to replace? I took one of these apart and they look very simple on the inside. What exactly is it that "deteriorates" that requires replacement? Is it the "electrodes / elements" (metalic proprties)? If so, isn't there a cheaper way of "regenerating" / replacing these?...............or am I barking up the wrong tree???

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 03:13 PM
ive seen cells that last 10 yrs. & price depends on the brand,
longivity depends on, many factors, such as how long you run your pool circ. pump, how high a setting you have it on, how strong the acid solution used to clean it, the quality of the cell to start with, and no there is nothing you can do to re-condition the cell,

steve

Old 07-23-08, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by stevie3x View Post
ive seen cells that last 10 yrs. & price depends on the brand,
longivity depends on, many factors, such as how long you run your pool circ. pump, how high a setting you have it on, how strong the acid solution used to clean it, the quality of the cell to start with, and no there is nothing you can do to re-condition the cell,

steve
Thanks for the info.
You mentioned "how long you run your pool ciculation"......What is the correct thing to do. Most pool companies recommend 24/7? Should one get a a timer switch? If so, How do you know how many hrs a day / night? Does switching increase or decrease electricity consumption and longevity of pump?

Thanks