pool heaters prog timers?

Old 07-25-08, 03:01 PM
pool heaters prog timers?

hello,i moved into a house with a pool and heater. my question is,will i save money by having the heater set at 78' and running all day to maintain that temp or use the built in program and start at 7am, shut of at 8pm.??? thx

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 02:28 PM
You only need to run the pump and heater a few hours a day unless you live near the poles!

I run mine about 4 hours a day (usually in the morning) and then the sun heats the water up even more (usually another degree or two depending on how hot it is out).

That time is enough for me to chlorinate (using about two super pucks in the skimmer), heat and maintain the water clean. It's worked for me for eight years. Once the water is heated to the temperature called for by the thermostat, the heater stops working anyway. But the pump will continue to burn up that hydro mercilessly and unnecessarily if you run it continuously.

QC

Old 07-28-08, 03:06 PM
The most efficient way to run heater is to keep temp constant. Set thermostat at temp you want and leave it. It will only fire when temp calls for heat. If you only run a couple hours it will take that long or longer to get to temp then it begins to fall again. Uses alot more gas recovering from an off situation.

Old 07-29-08, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by todrut View Post
The most efficient way to run heater is to keep temp constant. Set thermostat at temp you want and leave it. It will only fire when temp calls for heat. If you only run a couple hours it will take that long or longer to get to temp then it begins to fall again. Uses alot more gas recovering from an off situation.

Although that may be more comfortable if you want to go for a late night swim (i.e. temperature of water always constant), the science of heat transfer (as I know it) does not support that conclusion, even though many people say that.

1 cal = the heat required to increase/decrease the temperature of one cc of water by 1 degree Celcius.

The total number of calories consumed/lost during any 24 hour period is the same so long as the high temperature setting is the same. Mother nature controls the actual low temperature automatically, either with a greater dip if using a timer, or with numerous small dips if running continuously. Essentially one big temperature dip = numerous small temperature dips.

The only possible way for your statement to hold true would be if the caloric output of natural gas through the heater's heat exchanger differed by water temperature, and we all know that is not the case. My pool's water heats uniformly regardless of water temperature - roughly 1 degree per hour regardless of whether the water is at 60 deg F or 80 deg F, barring the heating effect of the hot sun at mid-day.

The one big savings is the hydro consumption = 20/24 = 83% of a lot of hydro when operating the pump for only four hours a day. That adds up to several hundred dollars for me in a three month period! Nothing to sneer using a $20 timer, not to mention the extended life (in years) of the pump, assuming its life is measured in operating hours, as the life of all other mechanical devices is.

Old 07-29-08, 07:32 AM
It is a proven fact within the industry as well as HVAC that recovery is much more costly than maintain. Why would you want to heat your pool, then let it cool, then heat again only to use more gas rather than maintaining the temp once reached. It is just like your central a/c in the house, if you keep house at 72 then you leave and set it up to 82 during this time all the house heats to 82 taking extended amount of time to recover back to 72 when arriving home.

Old 07-29-08, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by todrut View Post
It is a proven fact within the industry as well as HVAC that recovery is much more costly than maintain. Why would you want to heat your pool, then let it cool, then heat again only to use more gas rather than maintaining the temp once reached. It is just like your central a/c in the house, if you keep house at 72 then you leave and set it up to 82 during this time all the house heats to 82 taking extended amount of time to recover back to 72 when arriving home.
I know many people say that, but the science does not support it. I'll believe it when someone proves it; I've never seen that proven, just an old wive's tale to me unless I see proof, bud. And I am not even from Missouri, lol.