Question regarding pumps

Old 07-28-08, 12:42 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question regarding pumps

We just bought a 18' x 48" Intex Easy Set pools. after getting everything going, it really seems that the pump is rather weak in regards to moving 5400 gallons of water effectively. Then again i really have no idea if it is even moving enough water.
So my questions are this, how can i be sure that the pump is indeed working properly (moving the amount of water it's rated to move)?

Also, does anyone know the limits in regards to upgrading the pump to a more powerful model?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 01:59 PM
Q
You have some good questions and I can't answer them directly. But I may be able to help.

I have a 16 by 32 pool that holds some 20,000+ gallons and have a 3/4 HP pump on it because I only had a 15 AMP plug for it. The pump draws 14.5 AMPs! Normally it would have taken a 1HP pump but a 20 AMP connection would have been required. Anyways the 3/4 HP pump works quite well. In fact, some pool dude told me that the pool pump is designed to work 24/7, but later found out that is not required at all. When I found out that this pump burned more power than everything else in my house, I got a timer for it and have been running it for about four hours a day for the past eight years. That's all I need to get adequate filtration, chlorination (if I place pucks in the skimmer), and heat. That has cut my hydro bill by an enormous amount.

I don't know how much water yours holds (surely it's not 5400 gallons for that size unless it's very shallow!), but this should give you some indication of what you need. As far as whether the pump is working properly, you should be able to tell by the pressure gage on the filter - typically 13 on mine.

QC

Old 07-28-08, 02:29 PM
B
Originally Posted by quickcurrent View Post
You have some good questions and I can't answer them directly. But I may be able to help.

I have a 16 by 32 pool that holds some 20,000+ gallons and have a 3/4 HP pump on it because I only had a 15 AMP plug for it. The pump draws 14.5 AMPs! Normally it would have taken a 1HP pump but a 20 AMP connection would have been required. Anyways the 3/4 HP pump works quite well. In fact, some pool dude told me that the pool pump is designed to work 24/7, but later found out that is not required at all. When I found out that this pump burned more power than everything else in my house, I got a timer for it and have been running it for about four hours a day for the past eight years. That's all I need to get adequate filtration, chlorination (if I place pucks in the skimmer), and heat. That has cut my hydro bill by an enormous amount.

I don't know how much water yours holds (surely it's not 5400 gallons for that size unless it's very shallow!), but this should give you some indication of what you need. As far as whether the pump is working properly, you should be able to tell by the pressure gage on the filter - typically 13 on mine.

QC

Yeah, even though its a 48" deep pool, you can only fill it to 38" because of the inflated ring at the top. Everything i read states it holds 5400 gallons when filled. I'm not sure that the pump even has a pressure guage, but i'll double check when i get home

Old 07-28-08, 03:03 PM
There is no pressure gauges on those pumps, they are the cheapest ones intex could use to keep the price of their pools down. Many people have them up and running with little to no problems as long as chemicals are kept proper and filter is cleaned regularly.

Old 07-29-08, 06:06 PM
B
should i run this pump more than say 6-8 hours a day? I was doing the math and a pump that moves 1500 gph for a pool holding 5400 gallons, it should only take approx 4 hours to cycle the pool. One shop here in town said i should run it at all times when the pool is not being used. thats about 22 hours a day. seems a little overkill

Old 07-29-08, 07:27 PM
S
there are so many different, variables in place here, the size of piping, the number & kind of fittings, the distance to the pool from the filter / pump, is water being pumped uphill, different kinds & size of filters have different resistance to the flow of water, different pump models have different performance curves, etc. ....

if you really wish to find out, install a flow meter on your piping, hopefully you have a fairly straight horizontal run of pipe , using the I. D. go to your pool store & purchase one they run around $85.00
, install it as per directions in the box. and all your guess work is over.

steve