Winterize Above Ground Pool

Old 08-12-08, 04:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Winterize Above Ground Pool

I have an above ground pool. Iím getting ready to winterize in a few weeks and I have some questions. I know I need to lower the level of the water to about 1Ē below the skimmer but Iím not sure if I need to cap the skimmer and return valve? My concern is not to have the skimmer freeze and crack if water gets in it.

I also need a cover. Any ideas where I can get a decent cover that does NOT let water into the pool???

Thanks...

Old 08-18-08, 06:37 AM
S
as far as the skimmer. I have a suggestion. there is a product that covers the skimmer (like this: http://www.winterpoolsupplies.com/Lp...FQNfFQoduQGAfQ) you will have to drain the pool below the skimmer to install it. it replaces the "ring" around the skimmer opening. Then it has a cover (like a tupperware cover) that seals the skimmer. so next year, you wont have to drain it! you just install the skimmer cover, and put a plug in the return outlet. all done. no draining! best thing i ever bought.

as far as the rest of the equipment, i like to be on the cautious side. i detatch the entire pump and filter valve system and store it in my basement. that way there is NO risk of trapped water freezing in it an breaking something. just my opinion though.

very important to get ALL the water out of pump system and skimmer basket.

as far as the cover... i have yet to see a great cover. but a decent cover installed correctly will keep the water out. make sure it has NO holes. make sure you have it pulled tight over the sides. Also, use a few "air pillows" underneath it. it will help. if you get a lot of water build up before it freezes (from rain), then pump it out. its good to have some water ( a few inches) in it becuase it will help keep it in place.

If you want to weight down the cover. do NOT hang anything from the cover. make sure the weights (like water/sand filled jugs) actually rest on the ground. you can put too much stress on it if they hang.

hope this helps.

Old 09-13-08, 09:18 AM
B
Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
as far as the skimmer. I have a suggestion. there is a product that covers the skimmer (like this: http://www.winterpoolsupplies.com/Lp...FQNfFQoduQGAfQ) you will have to drain the pool below the skimmer to install it. it replaces the "ring" around the skimmer opening. Then it has a cover (like a tupperware cover) that seals the skimmer. so next year, you wont have to drain it! you just install the skimmer cover, and put a plug in the return outlet. all done. no draining! best thing i ever bought.

I'm closing my pool today. I wish to never have to drain the pool again! Does the skimmer cover really work and how long (many years) will it last. Thinking of getting one for next season, but I'm skeptical about the plastic cover.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: