Refinish in ground fiberglass spa?

Old 07-24-08, 07:49 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinish in ground fiberglass spa?

I have a smaller in ground spa that is fiberglass. It has discolored and seems to be chalking. I wonder what is the best method and material to use to refinish it. From what I have gleaned from google searches I came up with High Build Epoxy from a couple of different manufacturers. I am considering the National Pool Supply 1:1 Ratio as it has a color selection I would prefer. I also noted that ambient temp is important. I am in Las Vegas and current daytime temps are near 110...probably hotter in the spa area. It may be that I have to wait until fall to take on this project.

Will it help if I drain, clean and refill in the meantime?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-24-08, 08:02 AM
Fiberglass has a gel coat on it but I have not heard of it chalking. Are you sure it is fiberglass? Newer spas have fiberglass on the back but top layer is a different better lasting material. What kind of spa? What year?

Old 07-24-08, 09:33 AM
M
Refinish Fiberglass spa

Originally Posted by todrut
Fiberglass has a gel coat on it but I have not heard of it chalking. Are you sure it is fiberglass? Newer spas have fiberglass on the back but top layer is a different better lasting material. What kind of spa? What year?

Thank you very much for the reply,

The spa is approximately 13 years old, I have no idea what make as the pool and spa were in ground here when I bought the house. I say fiberglass because at some points in both the pool and the spa you can feel the surface flex under weight where i am assuming the foundation has been compressed. My current issue may be from the chemicals, not long ago I decided to try to use an above ground spa cover to keep debris and dirt out of the spa and found that I was over chorinating by the way of a floating tablet container. When I opened the spa cover after a few days the chorine smell was quite strong and I noticed the discoloration. When I brush the surface there is a some type of sediment that appears chalky..

I now do not use the cover except for overnight.

Last edited by mrlick; 07-24-08 at 09:43 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-21-08, 10:34 AM
P
Smile

Originally Posted by mrlick
I have a smaller in ground spa that is fiberglass. It has discolored and seems to be chalking. I wonder what is the best method and material to use to refinish it. From what I have gleaned from google searches I came up with High Build Epoxy from a couple of different manufacturers. I am considering the National Pool Supply 1:1 Ratio as it has a color selection I would prefer. I also noted that ambient temp is important. I am in Las Vegas and current daytime temps are near 110...probably hotter in the spa area. It may be that I have to wait until fall to take on this project.

Will it help if I drain, clean and refill in the meantime?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
The finish on your spa is gel coat which does chaulk when it begins to become porous, You should also notice staining, along with algae's newfound ability to cling to the surface.

By covering the spa in the daytime with chlorine tablets in a floater, in the Las Vegas heat, you have expedited the deterioration of the original swimming pool gel coat. Although it was probably about time for replacement anyway.

Gel coat is used by pool, hot tub, and spa manufacturer's because it will last far longer than any other finish and, because it is non-porous, it requires the least maintenance and chemicals.

I would recommend that you replace the original gel coat with exactly the same swimming pool gel coat used by the manuifacturer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: