pool covers

Old 08-26-08, 06:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pool covers

Has anybody used one of the pool covers that supposedly lets water drain through it into the pool? I need to get a new cover this year and am thinking about trying one of these. In all my years of pool ownership I have never removed a cover that trapped water on top of it and not had some smelly nasty gunky stuff sneak back into the pool while we were trying to lift the last bit of cover off the pool.

In theory the covers that let water through make sense. No, or virtually no, water on top of the cover when it's time to open the pool. The only thing I'd be worried about is getting too much water in the pool from heavy rains or snowfall. I suppose I could pump some water out, but if it's frozen then that would make it kind of difficult.

Anybody have an opinion on these covers?

Old 08-29-08, 11:04 AM
Q
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
If I were you, I would be suspicious of some of the dirt on top seeping down through and messing up the clean water underneath with any type of cover that allows water to seep through. If water particles can get through by gravity, many other particles of dirt will be just as small and get through as easily !!!

I've had to pump water out a couple of years from above the cover to prevent flooding (i.e. received more than 18" of water and melted snow during the winter season). Since I have a custom made cover, I would have had to remove the cover from the coping groove to get at the water underneath with one those covers. No Thanks.

Old 08-31-08, 02:20 PM
According to what they say, only fine silt will make it's way through the cover into the pool, to be vacuumed out once it's opened back up. I only thought about it because no matter how many different ways I've tried, I've never been able to pump all of the water off the top of the cover, and always end up spilling some of the slimy nasty gunk into the pool when taking the cover off, and then it's a big pain to clean it all out.

In the end I just bought another regular cover. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. ; )

Old 09-01-08, 06:52 PM
Q
I pump mine out almost to the last drop, well except for the last pint or two, by using my leaf skimmer to skim out leaves and dirt and pushing the water towards one corner where I place the pump.

I think you'll be glad you bought another regular cover, I have my suspicions about this wonderful new type! Only fine silt, huh?

Old 09-02-08, 11:14 AM
T
I agree with the other posters. My Brother in law has one of these, and it lets in a lot of dirt. He has an in ground pool.
He also has to pump out the water from time to time.

I have an above ground pool, an use a cheap submersible to get the gooky water off before opening.

Old 09-07-08, 01:25 PM
R
It's a major pain but what I do is clean all leaves,fir tree needles etc. off the cover then pump off the dark gunky water & kinda clean the cover off so there is only clean water on top at that point.It takes several hours but you don't get the stuff in the pool & the cover is easier to clean off when you take it off & put it away for the summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: