Yellowish/Brownish striped stains

Old 08-29-08, 01:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yellowish/Brownish striped stains

I have yellow/brown striped stains on the bottom of my pool where the duct tape is under the liner. This duct tape was used for the pool base that was installed under my liner. In addition, my skimmer has turned the same color. I believe this is related to a problem I had with corrosive water. My Alkalinity and PH got so low that my water turned corrosive. It actually even burned my son's skin and gave him a rash while swimming. My local pool store told me about the corrosive water. I have since fixed this problem and my water is now properly balanced. It seems about this time is when these stains showed up. I tried dumping 2 quarts of a product that removed the iron out of water for pools. However this did not help. Any suggests?

Old 08-29-08, 03:23 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the wrong type of tape was used and the corrosion issue resulted in chemical interaction and stain migration from the tape. Stain is likely permanent. Your pool expert should be able to confirm permancy of stain or offer a stain resolution. If pool installation was done by a professional and work is under warranty, then perhaps warranty will cover liner replacement as well as 'pool base' with manufacturer's recommended tape product.

Duct tape is often dubbed as the handyman's friend. While it does come in handy, it is not always best for all situations requiring tape, including ducts.

If your current pool expert can not help you get your chemicals within safe swimming allowances, then find another pool expert. Corrosive pool water can destroy a pool and equipment and increase skin irritability of sanitizers. Control of pH, total alkalinity and calcium hardness are important to prevent corrosive water. If you DIY, some pool supply stores offer classes. Do not let your wee one swim until you or your pool expert get the water within optimum range.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: