pool pump - electrical problem

Old 09-16-08, 06:31 PM
Question pool pump - electrical problem

I have an older pool pump that currently went out and am hoping someone can lend some advice to me.

Short version...
Will oil on motor coils cause smoke and breaker to trip?

Longer version...
A couple of weeks ago the pump started tripping the breaker everytime it would turn on so after some investigation I some research and looking around I found ou the capacitor that sits atop the pump had gone bad. it was bulging and had oil discharge all over.

I ordered a new capacitor and once it arrived plugged it in. Pump fired up but started to smoke real bad and tripped the breaker again. I let it cool and tried again with the same result.

My thought is that the oil form the bad capacitor got into the pool pumps coil (or whatever the copper wires are called) and this is causing it to smoke and overheat which trips the breaker.

After many hours I finally figured out how to look inside the pump (err what a hassle) and I do see the wires to have oil or something black all over them.

My first question is...can this be cleaned off or is the pump toast? If it can be cleaned anyone know what to use?

My next question will have to wait until i find out...it will be "how to take the motor off the impeller" and I will suplly photos if needed.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-08, 04:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Oil may not harm the pump, but you are dealing with the motor part, not the pump part. The capacitor may have been sitting on top of the pecker head (where all the wires gather for connection). De-energize the circuit, remove the cover where the wires are, wipe what you can from the area, spray conductor cleaner and do what you can to get it cleaned out. It is highly possible the oils are creating a path for the energy to go to ground and trip your breaker.
If you want to post photos, use a server such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post.
Let us know how the cleaning goes.