No suction at main drain

Old 09-19-08, 08:18 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No suction at main drain

Hello,

I have an in-ground pool in my south Florida home built in 1965. My pool has a main drain in the deep end, and a skimmer in the shallow end. Strangely, there is absolutely no suction at the main drain. I removed the drain cover to check for a blockage - it appears clear.

Near the pool pump, there are 2 ball valves - one small one to activate the fountains and one large one on the filter to drain water from the pool. In the skimmer area, I see two opening - one with heavy suction, the other is blocked with a pipe plug. Both appear to be the same size.

Any ideas why there is no suction at the main drain? What do you guys think is the likely cause? What is the normal procedure for diagnosing these problems? My pool is cleaned with one of those "Great White" pool cleaners so it isn't a huge deal, but I'm curious.

Thanks,

- Joe

Old 09-22-08, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main drain

It sounds like the main drain line was cut and plugged at the equipment pad. Someone must have thought it was leaking somewhere and did away with it. Pools can run with only a skimmer but I would pressure test that line and see if you can find the leak. If it is under the pool them thats why they did what they did but if its somewhere along side of pool then I would fix it and hook it back up.

Old 10-04-08, 04:05 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
facing towards the water , the hole closest to you goes to the pool pump , the other hole is plumbed to the bottom suction, [ eroneously refered to as main drain ] the only way water is pulled from the bottom , you have to have a unit that looks like & most of us in the industry refer to as a " flying saucer " it has a flap on the bottom , closing it meters the amount of water pulled from the bottom, as far as the plug that is now in it , only the person who placed it there knows why, you may remove the plug & see if indeed you experience any water loss, if not purchase the mentioned part & whamo, the people at the pool store will go over how it works. keep in mind when you pull water from the main suction you will loose some of your skimming action.

steve

Old 10-04-08, 07:26 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks, Steve - that makes sense. I was wondering what that plug in the skimmer area was for! I'll see if the pool store carries one of those "flying saucer" devices.

- Joe

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: