Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Hooking up a hot tub 240 volt with subpanel?

Old 09-24-08, 09:18 AM

I just picked up a hot tub from a friend and want to hook it up. I have knowledge with electrical but 240 makes me want to check this out first.

My question is I have a full circuit panel with no extra slots open. Can I change the dryer (currently 30 amps 240 volts) circuit to 60 amps 240 v, use 8-gauge wire and run a line from the attached garage to the basement and install a sub panel?
If so can I then run a 30 amp circuit for the dryer and a 60 amp circuit for the Hot tub? ( hot tub again 8-gauge wire???)

Please point out my errors or ignorance in this scenario.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-08, 04:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The moderators will probably send this to the electrical forum, so be ready. But, you won't be able to run the hot tub and dryer from the same circuit, so trash that. If you have any 1" breakers, you may compact 4 of them to double 1" breakers, or 4 single 1/2" breakers. That would give you space to install the dedicated circuit to the hot tub. That is, provided your total load does not exceed the capacity of the panel itself. Now, the hot tub must be a ground fault circuit interrupter 60 amp breaker (not cheap). And you will probably need 6 gauge cable (4 wire) to your outside weatherproof disconnect. From the disconnect you will need waterproof flex conduit to connect from the disconnect to the tub.

Old 09-25-08, 12:18 PM
Sounds very reasonable. Pull the current dryer breaker and replace it with a larger breaker to feed a subpanel, then 2 breakers in the subpanel to feed the hot tub and dryer. The only concern would be as previously mentioned, exceeding the load capacity of the main panel.