Burned Wire to Heating Element

Old 09-27-08, 02:20 PM
Burned Wire to Heating Element

Looking for confirmation of my theory. My spa heater stopped heating, though all other indicators showed it working as normal. When I opened it up one of the leads to the element was fried. My theory is that the element operated dry for an extended period of time when a really bad filter clog caused water flow to nearly stop and that caused an overheat and subsequent fire. Sound possible? Or should I look another direction?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-08, 04:35 PM
Under normal circumstances not possible, the heaters are equiped with a high limiter sensor that would trip before letting run dry. did someone bypass this??? Sounds like heater just went bad and shorted a wire with it. Test element, replace if bad and replace wire, don't just tape it.

Old 09-28-08, 08:30 AM
Thanks! That was my second thought. The element "looks" good, but I'm not sure I'd know what a bad element would look like. It is pretty obvious that the previous homeowner did some modifications to the control unit even though it's fairly new (2003) and I'll look for a bypass of the hi limit switch.

Old 09-28-08, 12:02 PM
nap
Not familiar with such a unit but be cautious of using the correct wire to fix this.

Many leads that connect to a heating element are exposd to high temp and require special wire.

Old 09-28-08, 12:43 PM
You can't always tell by looking, you will need to run an ohm meter on it. If mods have been made you might want to have a professional come out and look.