Replacing Pool Mastic

Old 11-04-08, 12:33 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing Pool Mastic

Has anyone replaced their own mastic before? Is this a DIY type project or is it best to hire a pool professional?
Our old mastic was taken out when our coping and tile was replaced and we have the supplies for the new mastic but wasn't sure if we should attempt this ourselves. The quotes I get for having a professional replace is based on them ripping out the old mastic, using their own materials, and putting new stuff in. Since we already have the old stuff removed and have the supplies I am inclined to try myself but not sure if I am biting off more than I can chew.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 11-21-08, 06:02 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you can do ityourself and expect great results, first cleanout the old joint good a shop vac is good for this, the joint should be apx as deep as it is wide remember to initially make it a little deeper in order to install foam rope in the void so as not to pour away your expensive mastic , the foam rope should fit tight enough so there are no places where the mastic can get around it like a chip in the deck , crack ect. DO NOT use silica sand as is the general rule of most repair people installing mastic, that is not correct and could possible lead to a future expensive problem. there is a date code on the carton, you may have to call the manufacture to see if the material is still good to use, mix throughly, pour into the plastic applicator bottle and whammo take your time it is self leveling 7 you will get the hang of it , like decorating a cake,
i suggest you buy a bag of 60 grit silica sand , apx 30 minutes after you pour the mastic apply sand on top of it this will give you a very professional look, you may have to buy a whole bag apx. $10.00 ,... if the mastic is too thick you can add a small amount of acetone say 2 oz. per the whole 96 oz. kit ,
do not allow water to come in contact with the product for 24 hrs. min.

steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: