Closing new inground pool

Old 11-07-08, 07:53 AM
D
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Closing new inground pool

Is there a ballpark cost for closing/winterizing an inground pool - central NJ? Pool was just installed, already paid for the cover and the cost of drilling holes for the cover ($300 to drill holes), and already paid for the plugs/gizmos ($220). Apparently the closing isn't part of the pool contract, however, they have scheduled a closing for next week and sent me an invoice. I plan to watch closely so I can close/open myself in the future, but should I price out a closing for this year or am I better of having the installing pool co. close the pool?

Old 11-07-08, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plugs/gizzmos 220.00 WOW, that steep!!! Unless you had to buy 40 plugs and 10 gizzmos I would be taking them back. Tell me, what kind of pool you had built, any features? How many returns? How many skimmers? can you post picture??? So how much are they charging to close? I can help....

Old 11-07-08, 05:35 PM
D
40X18.5 Lazy grecian ell, steel walls, vinyl liner. 2 skimmers, vanquish in -floor cleaning system. MDX main drain and I think 1 other return. steel steps. No idea how many plugs/gizmos, but they said the stuff would cost about 250 in the store, plus tax. Charging 330 plus tax to close the pool, which doesn't include the drilling of the holes for the cover (another 300).
They will be cleaning the pool prior to closing, since they haven't cleaned it since the concrete decking was done. They will do a thorough cleaning in the spring (part of the pool price) but will prob. want to charge me to open the pool, but hopefully I can do that myself.

Does cost of closing a pool for the first time usually include cost to drill holes for safety cover? (purchased smartmesh for $2,400, but I think it was so expensive b/c it had to be custom made due to pool shape)

Old 11-07-08, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 gizzmos, approx 10 plugs, sounds like approx 70.00 bucks to me, far from 220.00 I can talk you through closing and or opening if you'd like. It is really pretty simple. Even when I was in Boston as a service manager for a large pool co. we did not charge so much.

Old 11-09-08, 10:18 AM
D
I plan on opening and closing the pool myself, but figured the first time I should watch somebody do it. I will question the cost of plugs/gizmos and get an itemized list to see if the price is correct. I actually feel like I shouldn't have to pay for a closing since I never got to use the pool and they have to close it up for the winter. So total cost to close first year will be $870 (220 plugs/gizmos, 300 drillout cover holes, 350 to winterize). sounds like a ripoff, but don't know what else I should do. I don't know if I want to close myself the first year, especially with the new cover and drillouts, and don't want to miss anything & cause damage due to freezing/cracking pipes .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: