pool leaking ????Liner problem???

Old 11-26-08, 10:03 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pool leaking ????Liner problem???

Hello - I really hope you can give me some advice. Well her goes. We have a pool that is PARTIALLY submerged- 2 feet below ground and 2 feet above ground. It is about 3 years old and have never had a problem. This fall our pool company gave a a new pool cover because I accidentally ripped the old one dragging it on my deck. Well this is the first year that the pool is "LOSING" water. The level of the water is about 2 feet below the top of the pool- about 12-15 inches lower than a regular closed up pool like mine.I have a solid cover and when it rains I drain off the water the same way I always have. I use a wet dry vac to act as a siphon by attaching it to a separate flexible pipe that is weighted down on the cover. I create a quick seal and when the water starts coming out I remove the wet dry vac portion and the water drains out by the suction I created. Some pool sites said that maybe I was draining pool water also because the cover may have a hole in it? But I have not drained the top more than once this year and it could assuredly not have taken out THAT much water!! So I had my closing pool people come back and they said- that they did a filter run-- and they see no visible rips??or holes. But that they would have to wait until Spring to do a further check. The men said it could be either PINHOLES somewhere in the liner or TERMITES????under the pool that have caused TINY PINHOLES????HUH???Is this true??? IN the meantime they said to KEEP and EYE on the present water level and call them back in 30 days . They said if the water drops more that they would come back and REMOVE the cover and drain the pool???!! This would cause the LINER to shrink and be unusable- and they would REPLACE it in the SPRING???!!!!HUH??? Can this damage the walls of the pool??? One pool site said even though my pool is NOT TOTALLY ABOVE GROUND- they would not recommend draining the pool -because the DIRT from the part of the pool that is underground- would put pressure on that half of the walls and cause damage???Is this true.??I am not sure what to do or who to believe.!! I thought that I should keep refilling the pool every now and then until Spring and then drain it and replace the liner IF that is the problem?? Please give me some of your thoughts. Thanks so much.

Old 11-27-08, 08:45 AM
Everything you were told sounds true... However, lets see if we can find where it is leaking. Mark water level, how much does it loose in 24hrs? How is pool closed? Is there plugs in the return lines? Are return lines below the water level or above? Is there a main drain in bottom of pool? Is there steps in pool that are cut into the liner?

Old 11-30-08, 06:39 AM
M
pool leaking

Hey and thanks for replying. To answer most of your questions... I do not know-- I am do the measuring thing - I already have- but not on a timed basis- But from where my last magic marker mark was to now- it has gone down about 6 inches or more.The pool is closed with a solid cover wrapped over the pool and the rim with those wired gromets they call it.Plugs in RETURN LINES??? Not sure what that means--Return lines above or below the water level?? Not sure I do know the water line is now well below the skimmer opening and also below or just about below where the Filter hole comes thru. But as stated before my pool person - LONG ISLAND SWIM from Long Island New York said he ran the filter while I was at work and said he saw no visible signs of a leak. Also to answer you- there is Main Drain in the bottom of the pol and the stairs are seasonal (wedding cake shaped plastic stairs ) that are remove every winter at closing- They just sit in side the pool. So in closing- what I NEED you to tell me- is SHOULD I let my pool drain to nothing and remove the cover as MY pool company said OR should I refill it PARTIALLY until Spring- ????? Will letting it drain all the way- NOT only DEFINITELY ruin the LINER BUT will it MAYBE hurt the INNER sides of the walls by SORT of Caving in?? From the pressure of the dirt on the inner walls??? _remember only about 2 feet or so of the pool is underground?? Please advise.
P.S. I would like to send you Pictures of the pool as it is now BUT I do not know how to attach them to this forum for you.

Old 11-30-08, 04:26 PM
without being able to see the pool its hard to say but if pool co was out there and said it was ok to let drain, I would go ahead and let drain and deal with it in the spring...

Old 12-01-08, 06:40 PM
M
Red face me again about pool leak??

Hey again and thanks for answering-- first is there a way for me to attach pictures for yo- and secondly I e-mailed some pool sites- and I sent him pictures fro my ow e-mail and he recommends to maintain a certain water level to avoid damage to my pool?? You understand that I getting very different vibes-- is there a way I can e-mail you some pics of the pool as it is right now???

Old 12-03-08, 03:09 PM
M
me again

Hello- since my last marker of pool water height- it has dropped another 2-3 inches. I got so unnerved that while we speak I am adding water to the pool using the hose under the pool cover. Now my fear is that I will have to keep filling the pool over and over again until spring - running up quite a large water bill!!I am really not sure what to do. If I was 100% sure that no damage would be done to my pool- I would definitely let it run dry. Are you sure that there is no way I can send you pics of my pool structure so that you can better advise me whether you think the pool can be drained completely???

Old 12-03-08, 03:44 PM
you can post pics at photo bucket . com then post the links here. You should also be able to post pics here also. I'll take a look.

Old 12-04-08, 07:59 AM
B
Under the circumstances I doubt this will be of much help but I had great success using coolaid in a syringe to locate leaks in my pool.
In my case the leak was at the steps.

Old 12-10-08, 03:18 PM
M
me again

Originally Posted by todrut View Post
you can post pics at photo bucket . com then post the links here. You should also be able to post pics here also. I'll take a look.
Hello again- well I added water and guess what- I am back to square one again- it has really dropped fast this time--I will post some pics of the pool so that you can tell me whether or not I can allow the pool to drain without any structural damage.. my pool company said that due to the pools construction I should have no problem if I leave the pool empty?? But I am not so sure if they are telling me the WHOLE truth?? since especially I think they caused the problem- BECAUSE - thie pool had NO problems UNTIL they closed it for the season for me. And my wife tells me that a DIFFERENT staff came this season and did not seem to know what they had to do- so she had to call the "boss" and they had to get on the phone with him for an explanation. I THINK they made the HOLE when they used the OLD fashioned method- of VACUUMING the bottom with the long pole- IS IT possible they could have ripped it at CLOSING and that is why I am only noticing the loss of water SINCE the closing??? But that is neither here nor there- my main problem now is that I do not want to keep FILLING the pool and getting a large water bill IF I do NOT have to- if the pool can survive without water in it for the winter- SO PLEASE check out my pictures on photobucket and get back to me.. I will send you the link .. and Thanks much for your concern Remember also that my pool is not a totally above ground pool- half of it is in the ground and half is above ground- does that make it a more sturdy type of structure?? As you can see I am totally unsure of what I should do-- please advise here is the web page from photobucket- after looking at my pics please write back to me.. thanks

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Old 12-10-08, 06:03 PM
no links posted for photo bucket

Old 12-10-08, 08:42 PM
M
Huh??

I wil type the web page here- if you cannot log in please let me know and I will give you the username and password

fmoffilmland - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Please try this

Old 12-10-08, 08:55 PM
M
help

Hi again- go to photobucket and if you need please write me back and on the sign in page I will give you my username and password. is that OK

Old 12-11-08, 05:49 PM
Looked at pictures, you do have a well built pool, good sturdy uprights. The cover is the only thing I would worry about, don't let it get water on it and pull the walls from the top. Other than that I would let it drain and sit over the winter.

Old 12-11-08, 06:27 PM
M
Red face thanks so much

Looked at pictures, you do have a well built pool, good sturdy uprights. The cover is the only thing I would worry about, don't let it get water on it and pull the walls from the top. Other than that I would let it drain and sit over the winter.
Hi again - I REALLY really appreciate your help- you have enabled me to Sleep a whole lot better. Thanks so much for your concern and care- I will call my pool company and suggest exactly what yous say since it makes a great deal of sense. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-08, 10:50 AM
Pool liner...

Hi, my name is Cyndee & I work for a pool & spa repair co. in Wisconsin & I hope I'm not to late. PLEASE DO NOT let the water drain out all the way down. It looks like you have rock around the bottom of the pool. Do you know how deep the rocks are? If they're also 2' deep then try to keep at least 2.5' of water in the pool.

Old 01-05-09, 06:28 AM
M
LAST chance for pool problem!!!!!!!

Hello again - I am sorry to bother you but I think now that I MUST have the pool people remove the cover-- My pool water level is now BELOW ground level and the pool COVER is being pulled VERY TIGHTLY into the pool and almost to the point of ripping because of the weight of the water build up in the middle of it. By the way I live in NY.(Long Island). Do you think that the pool people should REMOVE the cover and leave the pool UNprotected??? for the rest of the winter??? Or is there something else that they should temporarily cover it with like a large tarp??? I mean shouldn't something be put over the pool circumference to protect the pool somewhat??? I also do not believe that the rocks around the pool are 2 feet down. They were put there afterwards as a decoration. So maybe they are just 6 inches at the most.So please tell me what you suggest because if need be I will personally buy a large tarp and DRAPE it over the pool if needed! Please advise.

Old 01-05-09, 02:11 PM
M
need advice again

Originally Posted by 1purplecyndee View Post
Hi, my name is Cyndee & I work for a pool & spa repair co. in Wisconsin & I hope I'm not to late. PLEASE DO NOT let the water drain out all the way down. It looks like you have rock around the bottom of the pool. Do you know how deep the rocks are? If they're also 2' deep then try to keep at least 2.5' of water in the pool.
Hi there and thank u for your reply- again I do not think that the rock goes anymore than 6 inches below the surface- But my question is this--I just spent trying to siphon put as much water as possible- the pool cover is now stretched beyond its stretching point and the loopholes where the wire is looped thru and draped around the sides of the pool are now ripping because the cover is sunk in so much to the bottom.This pool cover was JUST purchased this past pool closing thru the pool closing company that I have used the past 3 years. Now my question is this and I am not trying blame anyone but here goes- I was not home for the pool closing but my wife was and she distinctly remembers having to call the BOSS because the workers seemed confused and sloppy upon closing the pool. Could they in any manner have DAMAGED the pool when they vacuumed the pool with their manual rod so to speak??? I use a robot to vacuum they did not- and the only reason I ask this is because-the pool was PERFECT!! right up until the end of the swimming season. This only occurred AFTER the closing!!! Do I have any grounds to stand on in asking him to fix the problem at his cost?? I mean I payed him for the closing and the pool cover AND now I will have to pay for fixing the LINER and a NEW POOL COVER and for OPENING the pool in the spring??? What should I say or suggest to him - since you were or are in the business.Any help would be greatly appreciated- since this is becoming quite costly for me. Thank you

Old 01-07-09, 04:48 AM
M
help

any ideas??? I really need a leg to stand on here.:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: