How to fix a troublesome leak

Old 12-10-08, 08:56 AM
How to fix a troublesome leak

I have a troublesome leak that kept recurring. I used Fix a Leak, ran the pump till the leak stopped. The leak stopped almost immediately, no water coming out of base and concrete floor. The instructions said to leave it for a few days to confirm the leak has stopped completely, then drained the water, leave for 24/48 hours to cure and refill. I then refilled, left the water untouched for 24/48 hours to reconfirm the fix, then adjust the chemicals. This is when the leak reappeared three times so far within a week of the chemicals added.

Does this mean one of the chemicals interfered with the Fix a Leak? I used the Spa essentials line of chemicals.

Any idea how to fix this more permanently?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-08, 10:57 AM
15 views and no answers?
hmm, no one has used "fix a leak" or no one has an idea how to fix this?
I may have to fix the leak directly if I can figure out how to get to the bottom of the spa.
It is overground on concrete and in a room in the house, so elbow room is somewhat limited.
I have a 2 ton car jack trolley, so maybe a combi of 2x4 and car jack to raise one side of the spa, enough to secure it and for me to slide under?
Anyone done this? Any advise to do otherwise?

Old 12-14-08, 06:09 PM
fix a leak is only good on very small leaks and in certain places. Where is this leak? Is it coming from equipment or plumbing???

Old 12-15-08, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by todrut View Post
fix a leak is only good on very small leaks and in certain places. Where is this leak? Is it coming from equipment or plumbing???
Thanks for replying.

From the visible equipment panel where you can see pumps, bleed valves, heater element and so on, it is dry.
The water comes out of the base, so I have no way of telling where but I assume it is either a pipe or seal.
All the other three sides have insulated materials, so no access to see pipes etc.

The leak started this year after I refilled the spa, having left it drained and unused for 18 months, but the spa is inside the house and not subject to frost damage and so on.

Old 12-16-08, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a bad seal in one of the pumps, unfortunately fix a leak will not work on it.

Old 12-16-08, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by todrut View Post
Sounds like a bad seal in one of the pumps, unfortunately fix a leak will not work on it.
Thanks again for your reply.

Where do you think on the pump that the bad seal might be. I mean how can I look for one because I can see both pumps in the equipment compartment and it is all dry.

TIA

Old 12-17-08, 08:45 AM
It would be the shaft seal probably which would be leaking from under pump. If it has sat that long, my guess is that is where it is.

Old 12-17-08, 09:47 AM
How to fix a leak...

The pump seal is between the motor & the wetend. You will need to take out the pump to change the seal but, first feel between the motor & wetend to see if there is moisture. Seals run about $28.00 to $45.00. Be careful when removing the wetend if the shaft is rusty (the impeller could break). If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, most spa repair places will change out a pump seal for you if you can get the pump out & take it to them. If there is no moisture on the pump, you might want to check the heater collars & make sure they're tight (hand tight that is).