Pool Pump Not Working - I think..

Old 04-08-09, 11:35 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool Pump Not Working - I think..

don't know much about my pool filter system, but it is only a few years old - and I clean it often. Suddenly, the pool filter pump does not work. If this is not fixable by myself, can anyone recommend a pool service company in San Jose, CA?

thanks for any suggestions you can give me!

Old 04-08-09, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Not a Pool Guy...but, does the motor run or just hum, do you get water flow? Its not clear in your post whether its not pumping..or not filtering.

Old 04-08-09, 11:52 AM
A
Thanks Gunguy. The motor seems to make the same noise as before (loud), but there is no pressure in the cartridge filter tower. No water is flowing into/out of the pool. I don't see any water going through the filters.

Old 04-08-09, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ok, now the pool guys should be able to help...

Almost sounds to me like a coupler between the motor and pump could be bad. Can you see any part of the motor shaft turning? If the motor runs but the pump isn't I'd look for a coupler of some sort. Though I have heard of broken shafts on pumps.

Anyway, wait for a pool person to weigh in. The more info you can provide, the better. Type of pump, filter , motor are always helpful.

Old 04-08-09, 12:43 PM
A
thanks again gunguy. I don't know the answer to your question about the motor shaft. I believe my system is a Jandy (about 3 years old). it sounds like i need to get a professional to come over and check/fix it.

Old 04-09-09, 06:07 PM
Try this first, lets try to diagnose. Turn pump off, open pump lid, fill with water then turn pump on, does it suck the water down? If so is it quick or very slow?

Old 05-04-09, 07:31 PM
D
We thought the pump was bad too - it's not.

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents. We bought a house 2 years ago with a pool so we've been learning as we go. We had a very similar problem this year. very little output in the return jets in the pool and the suction seemed poor as well. We tried everything short of digging up all the lines and replacing everything. My husband had one of those "let me try this one last thing" moments. He used an expansion nozzle on the garden hose inserted into the backwash drain (in the yard). It turns out there were two leaves blocking this line. I know it sounds completely bizarre - I'm still trying to figure out the connection between the backwash line and the return jets - but since then (over a month) the return jets are putting out like new, the pump basket is constantly filled - in other words, the system is working like a champ. Before you start replacing $80 parts, try flushing out the backwash line. Just my suggestion :-)

Old 06-15-09, 10:23 PM
T
I know this is a little late but it sounds like the pump capacitor may be faulty. Do you hear a humming noise from the pump when you turn it on? Unfortunately testing the cap is not easy, however, the repair is simply and pretty inexpensive ~$15.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: