Will my pool "pop out" of the ground ?

Old 04-18-09, 11:05 PM
Will my pool "pop out" of the ground ?

Hi all - I'm new to the site - thanks in advance
Just bought a house in Ontario Canada, and it has a pool that needs a new liner. The pool is about 20 yrs old, and in decent shape. 36x18, steel 42" walls, concrete floor and deep end bowl.
I do have some limited experience in replacing a liner so that part doesn't scare me. I just drained the pool and removed the old liner. I found the concrete bowl in the deep end had some previous repairs, and 2 cracks are allowing water to stream in. I guess I'll attempt to fill with hyd. cement.
How long can I leave the water out of the pool while I do these repairs? Do I need to be concerned that the pool walls could collapse, or the pool could pop out of the ground, as I've read in other threads from guys in Florida?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 12:28 PM
Pools that pop out are usually concrete pools. Do you know your water table? Of course Florida's is very high because thay are near sea level. When you say pouring is it alot or just a small amount? Unless you have a high water table you should be ok.

Old 04-19-09, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. The water coming in is not much - I'd estimate 1 cup of water every minute. (maybe less). I'm not sure of the water level, but we're probably 30' above Lake Ontario water level. I suspect there's a lot of ground water because it's spring time. Due to the water coming in, do I need to do anything during liner install time? Just make sure it's pumped out before I lay in the liner?
Thanks!

Old 04-20-09, 05:34 PM
you will need to pump it out and get liner in quickly and filling. That is not bad at all. Might even be able to stop it with hydraulic cement, good luck

Old 04-25-09, 06:51 PM
Job Done! Success :-)
That was REALLY challenging for a bit - even hyd. cement would not totally stop the leak. I actually used some of that new expoxy stick that sets underwater.
You're right - liner in FAST, and get the water in quick. Very happy with the end result.
A little scary, though. Thanks for the advice :-)