Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

What is the best wood to use for a deck around the hot tub?

Old 04-21-09, 04:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am just starting to research this subject and have had some people tell me about composite lumber, but I don't know if that will really hold up that much better then wood. If I do use wood, is there a kind of wood that will hold up better to the chlorine and the hot water. If I do use composite lumber, which kind is the best for a very wet environment?

Cheers !!!

Mark

Old 04-21-09, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
There shouldn't be that much water unless you let kids splash in it. I had PT (pressure treated) on my deck, and the chemicals were never a problem. Hopefully your spa has an ozone generator, cuts down on chemical use. There is also an alternative to chlorine...can't remember the name. No/less burning eyes, and the ladies don't complain about their hair. Buy what you like and can afford, check the reviews, enjoy the soak.

Old 04-22-09, 09:19 AM
Pressure treated is ok, just keep it sealed with Thompson's or similar. Bromine is the most comonly used chemical for hot tubs. Ozone is a big +++

Old 04-22-09, 12:05 PM
M
Pressure Treated requires regular maintenence.

I am still doing research on this and have not bought anything yet, but I want a material that will not deteriorate in water regardless of exposure. I don't have kids, but my friends and I are going to be splashing around and I don't think I will be able to keep the area around my hot tub dry. I also would like to avoid using wood, today being earth day an all, I am feeling the extra guilt!

I am looking at Azek, LifeTime Lumber, and Trex right now.

Old 04-28-09, 01:26 PM
M
I have samples of LifeTime Lumber, TimberTech and Azek and am going to show these to my deck builder. I will let you know how this goes. Can we post pictures on this forum, or just link to pics??

Old 04-28-09, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Link only...well, sorta...if you use the insert image button (the little postcard with a mountain on it) and copy the URL or IMG info into it, the image should appear in your post.

Old 04-28-09, 09:20 PM
D
I'm quite happy with my now 6 year old jarrah deck.

Old 05-06-09, 02:25 PM
M
Talked with my builder and ...

He said to stay away from Trex, since they have had some warranty issues.

I want a material that looks like wood so he recommended TimberTech Earthwood

TimberTech - Earthwood

Because this is going to be used around a hot tub, I am going to use LifeTime Lumber. My builder said that it is the best in a wet environment, and the price is about the same as the others.

Composite Lumber - Low Maintenance and Green, by LifeTime Lumber Products

I will post pictures of my deck when it is done.

Mark

Old 05-14-09, 02:57 PM
M
Azek contains PVC - PVC is Toxic

I am not using Azek because it contains PVC

Here is a great site about the dangers of PVC

PVC: The Poison Plastic

Old 05-14-09, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I could probably find a site about almost anything in common use, saying it was a poison or hazardous.

Unless you live in a mud hut and use regular sunlight for heat, cooking and lighting..almost everything will contribute to the problem, however small a contribution it may be.

I see the Lifetime Timber is 60% fly ash from coal fired plants, good they are using it for something..I know it's also used in concrete products and other things. Problem is, they are trying to get away from coal plants. Whats the other 40%? I notice they don't say, even on the MSDS sheet...it's all "proprietary".

Not trying to start anything, just making an observation.

Old 05-19-09, 11:56 AM
M
Thanks for the input GunGuy !!

I called LifeTime Lumber and asked about exactly what is in it and they sent me this link.

Basically, it is Fly Ash and Polyurethane. The CAS number is what is Proprietary

Section 2: Composition / Information of Ingredients

Component --- CAS Number --- % of Product
Coal Ash** --- Proprietary --- 50 - 85
Polyurethane resin --- Proprietary --- 12 - 30
Surfactant --- Proprietary --- < 0.5
Pigment (mixed iron oxides)* --- Proprietary --- 2-6
Reinforcement --- Proprietary --- 2-7

This product is not considered hazardous under OSHA 29 CFR 1910,1210
*Note: pigment is used in the production of the decking but is not bound to the resin in the final product.
**Coal ash composition is variable depending on coal source and power plant characteristics. Coal ash may
contain Crystalline Silica at low levels, however, it is bound to the resin in the final product and is not available
for exposure.

Notes: CAS (from wikipedia)

CAS registry numbers[1] are unique numerical identifiers for chemical elements, compounds, polymers, biological sequences, mixtures and alloys. They are also referred to as CAS numbers, CAS RNs or CAS #s.

Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS), a division of the American Chemical Society, assigns these identifiers to every chemical that has been described in the literature. The intention is to make database searches more convenient, as chemicals often have many names. Almost all molecule databases today allow searching by CAS number.

As of December 2008, there were more than 40 million organic and inorganic substances and more than 60 million sequences in the CAS registry.[2] Around 50,000 new numbers are added each week.

CAS also maintains and sells a database of these chemicals, known as the CAS registry.

Last edited by todrut; 05-19-09 at 07:31 PM. Reason: please don't post url's
Old 05-20-09, 05:00 PM
D
If you're really concerned about PVC in OUTDOOR composite decking, I wouldn't advise either getting close to mud, or exposing yourself to any kinds of ultraviolet rays (i.e. the sun). You may also want to reconsider getting a spa, as they're made from a large variety of different plastics...INCLUDING PVC.

Old 05-20-09, 10:59 PM
M
Hey Dr. Spa ...

I guess I am just a total fool for not wanting to spend countless hours surrounded by PVC being cooking in the hot California Sun.

I am also making sure my tub does not contain PVC, thanks for the advice.

Would you care for a cigarette, Dr. SPA?

:smoke:

Old 06-14-09, 03:37 PM
A
Does anyone know what sort of materials used for hot tubs are pvc free? Any references or links would be appreciated...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: