Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Difference between Hayward Pool Heaters from Newbie

Old 05-16-09, 09:15 AM

Hi,

Very confused newbie here. Looking at Hayward 250,000 btu pool heater and getting different stories from different salespeople.

Which is the better natural gas Hayward heater?

H250FDN with Low Nox, cupro nickel heat exchanger

or

H Series H250IDL2

Depending on the sales person I speak to, they both are telling me one is better than the other. Is there a significant difference? The H250FDN is cheaper but is it an older model they are trying to phase out or vice versa?

Please help to bring clarity before I make a poor decision on a sizable investment.

Thank you in advance

David

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-09, 09:49 AM
Research your state laws, for one. Don't rely on the advice of a pool supply for what I am about to hint on.... And keep in mind that I am in Texas, not Indiana so the statements I make here are simply to alert you to additional possibilities for which you may or may not be subject.

Some states are now requiring Low Nox for all pools. Some for only sizes in excess of certain Btu ratings, and like Texas, only for commercial pools.

Then, as in Texas, any heater (ne boiler) that is 200,000 Btu or more must be annually inspected and pay the associated costs. A reason to consider a smaller heater, if your state has such a code.

Again, just reasons to consider one over the other. It takes a bit of legal research but it may be worth it in the long run.

Cheers

Old 05-19-09, 09:35 PM
The H250FDN/P would be the better choice. It is a newer design, but has been in the market for almost 2 years with no significant bugs. The Cupro-Nickle heat exchanger handles water chemistry fluctuations better than copper alone. Other brands offer CuNi as an upgrade (300-400 bucks extra). The FD heater is a better design and is superior to the IDL2 design, because technology has improved.

The state of Texas no longer requires LoNox for single family residential installation. Having said that, you're still better off purchasing the LoNox heaters due to increased efficiencies. It will pay for itself.

Residential swimming pool heaters do not require an annual state inspection, such as commercial installations do. No worries about increased costs related to this.