Bearing replacement AO Smith

Old 05-20-09, 12:04 PM
Bearing replacement AO Smith

Does anyone know how to replace the front and back bearing on a AO Smith pump?
It is a 1 1/2 hp pump for a 18 round pool, I have an idea but would like to get some advice first, I have replaced the seal assembly a couple of years ago, but the pump has started to whine lately, I have tried to purchase the bearing in a pool supply but the sales man in one place said it was for in house repairs only so I know they do exist

also what would be the perfect size pump motor for a 18 round 1hp or 1 1/2 hp?
there is about 4 or 5 pool supply stores around me, and from what I seen they are very shady one place said 18 for a seal, and another 52 bucks I do not think any of them had the same price for the same part number, bottom line is I do not trust pool supply store in general I could just get a new one for 250 plus but all I need is a bearing or two.

Id like some advice to help, make a decision

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-09, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
I can't give you step by step, but I can tell you it's pretty simple. I had a whiner last year and bought a replacement motor, but then decided what the heck the old pump was in pretty good condition otherwise so I bought new bearings. Got the bearings from Grainger and price was very reasonable (just had to determine size since Grainger doesn't sell for specific applications). Seems to me that I determined the sizes by looking at spec sheets from A.O. Smith website.

I had never done the job before and just jumped right in, so now I have a spare on the shelf for next time.

Our pool is probably about the same capacity as yours (ours is kind of an hourglass shape - oval, but pinched in the middle) and we run a 1 hp with no problems including having solar on the roof.

Old 05-20-09, 01:16 PM
Group Moderator
Did some more checking on what I had bookmarked and came up with the manual I used:

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/pdf/brochures/3400.pdf

BTW, a 1hp version of that motor can be had for $150 plus shipping, $160 for the 1 1/2 [not from me, before someone suggest banning me. ].

Old 05-20-09, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
Did some more checking on what I had bookmarked and came up with the manual I used:

http://www.aosmithmotors.com/pdf/brochures/3400.pdf

BTW, a 1hp version of that motor can be had for $150 plus shipping, $160 for the 1 1/2 [not from me, before someone suggest banning me. ].
I found a new 1hp Hayward pump complete with base and basket for 170.00 online
Id post the site but do not want to break any rules as well.

a 1 1/2 hp base and all etc around here is going for 209 plus tax

How do you get to that bearing by taking off the front plate of the motor of course is it then just taken off? I am guessing there is a gasket or o ring as well to replace

My pump is about 3 years old my son started the pump with the intake valve shut
and have had problems ever since

Thanks for your help

Old 05-20-09, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
$170 for pump AND motor??? Geez, I never found that one.

No gaskets or o-rings on the motor, the seals are on the pump.

The bearing at the front end was, I think, lightly pressed into the plate and had a little metal tab and screw to retain it. Can't remember the other end (at least not without dismantling my work ). Neither caused me any great amount of effort.