Green Pool/CYA Issue

Old 05-21-09, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Green Pool/CYA Issue

I'm a pool novice trying to open an inground pool for the first time. I have a 27,000 gal pool with vinyl liner, sand filter, auto chlorinator. Test results from 2 days ago were FC=0, pH=6.4, TA=40, CH=125, CYA=0. To get the chlorine level up I have been adding about 6 lbs of shock 2 times a day and put 2 - 3 lb chlorine tablets in each of the 2 skimmers. Yesterday evening when I got home the FC had dropped from 10 in the morning to 2 I believe because of all the sunlight and low CYA. Last night I added 6 lbs of shock and 22 lbs of Alkalinity increaser. After 2 hrs the FC was back up to 10 and TA was around 100. I then added 15 lbs of pH increaser. After 12 hrs(this morning) the test strip readings are FC=8, pH=7.0, TA=130, CH=0, CYA=100.

I didn't realize the soda ash and alkalinity increaser would affect the CYA. I put in 8 lbs of shock this morning hoping it would keep the chlorine level up all day till I get home this evening. Should I begin replacing the water because of the high CYA, or keep putting in shock to combat the algae?

The pool is still green, can't see the bottom yet. I realize I still need to increase the CH, but felt it was more important with the algae to address the FC and pH first.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-09, 05:24 PM
There is something wrong with your test. The CYA would not have been that high from the chemicals you added. I would retest and would even go as far as bringing water sample to local pool store who should test for free and tell you exactly what you need. Wait 12 hr after putting anything in pool to take water sample. You are probably in a chlorine lock which is going to take a hard shock to break. What kind of shock are you using?

Old 05-21-09, 07:36 PM
I'm using Pool Brand quick dissolving shock from Sam's Club.

The test strip reading this evening was FC=10, pH=7.0, TA=180, CYA=125. Have not put any more chemicals in except what is coming from the chlorinator and the tablets in the skimmers. I will take a sample and get a test done in the morning. What do you mean by "hard shock"?

Old 05-21-09, 07:45 PM
it is about 5 times the normal amout to shock the pool. It breaks the lock. What is happening is the algea is eating the chlorine as fast as you add it. Something is up with CYA unless you added cyanaric acid(pool stabilizer). Let me know what pool store says. Careful they don't try to sell you alot of what you don't need...

Old 05-22-09, 05:49 PM
Pool shop instructed us to pour in 2 bottles of algecide and wait 24 hrs. Pool should turn gray.Then waste the green water through the multi port. Add water and take another sample for testing. At that point we can begin to balance the chemicals. Filter sand will need to be treated since it probably has algae in it. TC tested at 10 and CYA at 160. Stated the readings were incorrect since the alagae was still in the pool. didn't think it was chlorine shock with the TC at 10 and the pool was green.