Hayward Pool Heater H150 Problem

Old 05-21-09, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hayward Pool Heater H150 Problem

I currently have a Hayward H150 natural gas pool heater and last year had no problems. When I went to start it up this year I had a difficult time igniting the pilot light. Once I was able to light the pilot light and keep it lit the main burner wont light. I tried jumping the gas valve at the TH points and it still wont light. I find it hard to believe that the gas valve is bad - should I be checking something else????????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-09, 02:43 PM
Please check here first http://forum.doityourself.com/pools-...tart-here.html
let us know if it helps...

Old 05-22-09, 09:31 PM
Hayward h150 issues..........

I actually reviewed that post before I posted myself........it wasn't any help at all. The unit - both inside and out is very clean. The pilot lights with no problem - the main burners just wont ignite.

Old 05-23-09, 06:19 AM
do you have access to a voltage tester? If so test the millivolts coming from your pilot generator. Also it is a common problem that spiders will spin a tiny web in the pilot and cleaning it with a pipe cleaner or even a paper clip or q tip will help. If the flame is not coming out the proper way and heating the generator you will get no ignition since the millivolts won't be high enough. Should have at least 500 mv.

Old 05-29-09, 04:20 PM
Hayward H150

I have the same problem with the pilot working ok but the heater will not fire up. Is there instructions somewhere for taking out the front parts to get to the pilot generator?

Old 05-29-09, 05:59 PM
swood did you test mv? Why do you want to get to pilot generator? Does it need to be replaced? There are directions posted to remove burner tray.

Old 05-31-09, 12:51 PM
Hayward H150 Heater problem

I have a voltage tester, lowest scale is 10V. When I touch that part, it does not even move (even 500 mV should move the needle). I removed the front and got access to the pilot and igniter and cleaned them. Still does not start.

Is there any reason the igniter would not "turn on"? The pilot does light without a problem.

Steve

Old 05-31-09, 06:09 PM
If you're not getting a minimum 400mv then you need to replace generator. It will keep pilot light lit with a small amount of mv but if not enough it will not open gas valve.

Old 05-31-09, 09:54 PM
Heater problem

I 've been out of town so I haven't been able to get a mv reading - please keep me updated and let me know if changing the generator solves your problem. My pilot ignites and remains lit I just cant get the main burner to light.........Steve

Old 06-04-09, 03:47 PM
H150 Heater Problem

I had the same thing happen this spring. Pilot works but the heater wont fire up. I followed the trouble tree in the manual, jumped across the pressure switch and the heater worked fine. Per the manual and Hayward tech assistance, the pressure switch may be bad, but it also might be due to inadequate flow. The manual suggests cleaning the filter (I assume this is the pool filter) and also adjusting the dial on the pressure switch. I adjusted the dial and got nothing, and my filter is clean and it still doesnt work. Before I buy a new pressure switch (pt no. HAXPSA1930) does anyone know how to check the flow?? Could my heat exchanger have lime buildup? The flow at the pool nozzles seems fine.

Old 06-05-09, 06:55 AM
adjustung a pressure switch should only be done by qualified tech. If you're getting good circulation at pool then pressure should be good. You can put your filter valve on recirculate if you have a multiport valve and bypass filter to see if you get better circulation.

Old 06-05-09, 07:16 AM
H150 Heater

Thanks. The heater wasnt working even before I touched the pressure switch dial, so it looks to me like I need a new pressure switch. One other observation, last year I had the same problem intermittantly, and I tapped on the pressure switch and it worked fine for a while. Will let you know.

Old 06-05-09, 09:01 AM
H150 Problem

I hadn't even considered checking the pressure switch - which in my case might solve the problem since I switched the inlet putting it closer to the pump..........If that doesn't work I'm gonna trade this *&^% thing in for scrap metal!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-09, 08:58 AM
H150 Heater Problem

I installed a new pressure switch and it fixed the problem. The heater works fine now.

Old 06-12-09, 09:05 AM
Hayward 150 Heater

My problem was in my gas valve which I had to replace...then I had to adjust the pressure switch so for now at least it works fine. Good Luck and Thanks for the help....Steve

Old 05-27-10, 06:02 AM
Does anybody know what the pressure should should be set at?

Old 05-27-10, 08:20 AM
pressure is factory set and should only be adjusted under certain conditions by a professional tech. What is the issue you are having?

Old 05-27-10, 11:15 AM
Pressure switch is keeping heater burners from igniting. Found that the microswitch was bad. The pressure switch was still at factory setting. Checked the calibration and it switches at 3.5 PSI. Believe me I am more than qualified to check calibrations, its what I do for a living as an Instrumentation Technician.