Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

Pentair Rainbow Automatic Chlorinator problem!!!

Old 05-29-09, 06:25 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

hey friends

most of last year (july to close of pool) and apparently so far this year....first 2 weeks of pool being opened, my Rainbow Chlorinator is not chlorinating the pool?!....i am racking my brains what to do here...every time last year i used the test strips or took the water to get analzyed, the chlorine was barely visible (.5 or less)...i have the dial all the way up, there are no clogs in the bottom of it...i took it off like 5 times last year to examine it...we thought the chlorine may have been bad last year, so we got new this year and still no chlorine reading in the pool...i know its early and we need warmer weather to dissolve the chlorine..i live in South Jersey and my current water temp is 70 (so it's not that cold really)...in the off-season i bought another in-line chlorinator (Hayward CL-200). I have now learned that my current Rainbow one is better becasue the diameter is bigger for the flow of chlorine to get in. I put the 3" jumbo sanitizer tabs in my chlorinator. The one thing that i see may be a factor is the control valve for the Rainbow Chlorinator is a top mount one whereas all the pics show that it should be on the bottom of the thing. But the first 2 years that i had this, there was no problem at all...only last year it started.

Any ideas on what i can do to find out if its working. I also ran the filter with the cap off the chlorinator and there is water coming in from the top and filling up the chlorinator...the water isnt really overflowing tho onto the ground...should it? Maybe the water is coming in too slow?

Shall i temporarily get a floater to put tablets in my pool...i have a vinyl liner...could that get damaged or possibly even the stainless steel ladder handrails? I want to fix this before i start getting alagea..like i battled all of last year. I got my water tested when we first opened and everything was in balance...other than no clorine.

Any advice?

Thanks
BAM

Old 05-29-09, 04:46 PM
are the tablets disolving? If so I would suggest you check the cyanaric acid (stabilizer in the pool? If it is low or non existant chlorine will not stay in pool.

Old 06-02-11, 01:50 PM
N
I've got pretty much the same problem. However, the tablets are barely dissolving. I have noticed that the screen at the bottom of the chlorinator keeps getting clogged up with the bottom tablet. I've set the flow level on the chlorinator at various levels and have not had much success. How do you keep the screen at the bottom from clogging up with partially dissolved tablets?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: