Minimax 100 pilot

Old 05-31-09, 04:01 AM
Minimax 100 pilot

I have a minimax 100 heater a few years old. It worked ok yesterday until I turned it off. Today the pilot will not stay lit.
Can this be a thermocouple problem. The pilot flame looks good until I let the pilot push button on the valve up. Is there any place to find instruction on how to dissassemble this heater in case I have to replace the pilot. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-09, 06:09 AM
It sounds like the pilot generator, have you tested mv?

Old 05-31-09, 07:58 AM
No. Would I just unhook one screw term and put the meter between the empty term and the wire. Then I have to light the pilot and check the meter while holding down the pilot button. Is that right. I don't see how I could get in there to change it. I guess you have to take the burner and manifold out. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-31-09, 09:42 AM
while holding the pilot button and pilot lit test to 2 leads coming from pilot generator. Yes the whole burner tray would slide out to replace.

Old 05-31-09, 09:57 AM
Thanks. I will go check it.

Old 05-31-09, 01:59 PM
No good. I got the pilot to stay on for a little while, but the burner would not come on. It is a few years old and very rusty. I can not see how to get it apart. What is a good heater about the same size that works well. Thanks.

Old 05-31-09, 05:06 PM
Ok. If I push the toggle switch to on, and turn the thermostat all the way off, I can get the pilot to light and stay on when I rotate the knob from pilot to on. As soon as I turn the thermostat a little hit from low it clicks and the pilot goes out. When the therm turns on I guess it would complete the circuit, but I don't even have the water pump on yet, so the flow switch should be off. Any idea. Thanks.

Old 05-31-09, 05:08 PM
If you're not getting a minimum 400mv then you need to replace generator. It will keep pilot light lit with a small amount of mv but if not enough it will not open gas valve.

Old 05-31-09, 05:12 PM
Thank you. Would that cause the pilot to go out when the thermostat is turned on also.

Old 06-01-09, 06:10 PM
yes it can, it could be putting out just enough to keep pilot going till the valve tries to open reducing the mv to extinguish the pilot.

Old 06-02-09, 05:11 AM
Thanks for all of your help. I trid to take the burner tray out and the whole thing fell apart. Rusted. Time to buy a new one. I did see a lot of carbon built up on the generator so you were right.