pool wired in garage

Old 06-02-09, 02:02 PM
pool wired in garage

Hi. I am installing an above ground pool (perm) and would like to know if it is ok to wire into the fuse box already in the garage, which is about 5 feet from the pool? Someone also suggested putting the filter inside the garage..is that a good idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-09, 05:33 PM
If you have open breaker spots you should be able to wire with no problem. I would not wire to an existant circuit unless you know it will not be overloaded. It doesn't matter if it is in or out, personal preference...

Old 06-05-09, 07:48 AM
is garage wired for pool?

Thank you for the response. I was told I can use the fuse box in my garage only if it is grounded correct. I have 3 wires from garage to house,L,N and ground. Do I need another ground, if so where do I land it?

Thanks again

Old 06-08-09, 08:55 AM
You said you have L, N, & G in the panel. This is enough for your pool.

Because the pool is by definition a wet locatiion, you should give strong consideration of a GFCI circuit to run the pump. You can install the pump and associated plumbing immediately next to the pool, or at a remote site such as next to the garage.

Considerations include what the impact might be in the event of a leak at the pump -- will such a leak compromise the stem wall of the home (will water be able to enter the house from where the walls attach to the foundation)? If yes, then you will want to locate the pump at least 5 ft from the structure.

I once installed an above-ground pool with hard piping. The flex hose that comes with the pool creates far too much drag on the water to allow for a remote-site installation.

Good luck, and happy swimming.

Old 06-11-09, 02:41 PM
inspector wants more

Thanks CRWLR..I thought I was good till now. I want the filter in the garage, plug it in the twist type gfci and to the garage panel. Inspector says the grounding is not separate (?). Says if the 3 wires from house to garage are in conduit, that would be ok. As I look, it is cable into an LB going into ground, probaby just sleeved then buried underground to the same at the house. Think I can ground the garage panel to a supplemental grounding rod? Trying to stay safe and still be able to afford the water to fill the pool! have an estimate of $700 to trench it to the house, or $400 for the in garage hookup. Thanks for any and all solutions.