Haywood H100 heater will not ignite

Old 06-03-09, 03:00 PM
Question Haywood H100 heater will not ignite

I have a converted propane to natural gas Haywood H100 pool heater. I used Haywood parts to convert. when I turn the thermostat on the unit goes thru its start up cycle. Blower comes on, gas valve opens, and igniter starts and runs for aprox 20 seconds, then shuts off. I can hear the gas valve open and I smell gas in the exhaust vent. I pulled the electrode out and turned on the unit but did not observe spark at the electrode. so I replaced the electrode at $80.00. No difference.I looked for any obvious wires disconnected. don't see anything. I assume this is a spark issue, but I am not sure where to look next and what to check. any help would be appreciated.
Dave

Checked spark: pulled out igniter probe. grounded to earth ground and turned on unit, ran thru its ignition cycle. I hear the igniter clicking but see no spark between the ground probe and the ignition probe. moved the probes closer together, no diffrence. what would cause this condition?

Last edited by dsm2362; 06-03-09 at 04:14 PM. Reason: more info to report...
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-09, 04:35 PM
You said the igniter started???? If it clicks that is the spark jumping across. It also send the signal that there is a flame to keep lit. Make sure you bled the gas line....

Old 06-03-09, 04:49 PM
starter shows no spark

i hear the clicking , but can not see any spark jumping between the probes. covered the probes to try it in the dark and still see no spark. i have bled the gas line also. smell plenty of gas at the exhaust vent. 1 question. if the pressure switch is bad will the unit go into its start cycle, ie: blower come on, gas valve open, igniter engerize?

Old 06-03-09, 05:02 PM
If pressure switch is bad it would not start cycle. try to bend the two rods about a 1/4" closer than try to light again.

Old 06-04-09, 03:50 PM
still nothing

bent probes together to within an 1/8 of an inch. no spark jumping the gap. moved them apart farther an the same results. what is the function of the board that the spark plug wire plugs into? is it possible this is the culprit? I have looked the board over closley, and i dont see any cold sodder joints dont have any loose chips. do you know if hayward has a 1-800 phone number for tech support?
thanks...Dave

Old 06-05-09, 06:05 AM
Their customer service number 1-800-hayward

Old 06-05-09, 03:33 PM
thanks for the help

i will let you know what happens