pool maintenance

Old 06-12-09, 11:47 AM
pool maintenance

New inground pool, automatic chlorinator and infloor cleaning system (vanquish). I check chemicals daily, and shock weekly. SHould I be puttingin a clarifier (or stabilizer) in weekly along with an algecide just to keep things clear and clean? Does the shock take care of this? I believe one of the shock bags I started to use says it prevents algae and keeps water clear. Don't want to waste $$ and dump chemicals in the pool unneccessarily but want to keep pool clean and balanced.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-09, 03:00 PM
Read here, should answer all questions. http://forum.doityourself.com/pools-...spa-water.html

Old 06-12-09, 04:28 PM
I think that post covers what to do in almost every situation, but I wasn't quite sure about algecide and clarifier. I guess it can't hurt to add algecide as weekly maintenance and use the 6 in 1 pool shock weekly. it's called 6 in 1 xtra blue pool shock.

Old 06-12-09, 06:44 PM
Algecide is more of a preventive and is good to use, follow directions on bottle. Clarifier is a as needed chemical, help a sand filter with finer particles but with a DE filter usually won't need it. You should be able to shock pool every other week unless it is highly used. Be sure to maintain chlorine level with tabs or sticks.

Old 06-13-09, 04:19 AM
I have a cartridge filter. I will refrain from clarifier unless the pool becomes cloudy, and will keep using tabs in chlorinator to keep chlorine levels stable. Will try algecide weekly and shock every other week unless needed sooner.

What is your opinion on the 6-1 pool shock? Can this be a subsitute for algecide??

Old 06-13-09, 06:32 AM
yes, the 6 in 1 has algecide, clarifier, in it.

Old 10-30-09, 10:23 PM
ready shocking the pool is not usually needs unless the chlorine levels are low. shock is a temporary booster. your pool should be crystal clear if you can keep the chlorine between 2-3 ppm ( parts per million ) pH 7.4 - 7.8 and stabalizer (ca) 50 - 80 ppm. good luck

Last edited by todrut; 10-31-09 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-31-09, 04:14 PM
Shocking a pool every other week is definately needed. If you maintane a chlorine level constant, the algea will build a resistance to it. Pools need to be shocked every couple weeks to keep algea and bacteria from growing in pool.