Hayward heater H100Id

Old 06-14-09, 07:31 AM
Hayward heater H100Id

Any one familiar with Hayward pool and spa heaters ?

Hers is my problem.

I used this a few seasons all was well , this year started well until today when I turned it on and had this issue appear ,

Heater fan spools up correctly (10 Seconds) Burner lights and heating process begins. At about the time the heater starts to heat the water the heater begins to buck and shake some, so I checked the water flow out let and while the heater is bucking I notice the water outlet flow is going on and off. At this point the unit self extinguishes it heat cycle and then starts it all over again with the same issues. So start , fire, heat , shake , water flow affected in an on and off manner at the pool out let reset and so on and so forth

Any one with some knowledge and advice who can help would be awesome !

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-09, 07:39 AM
there is not enough water going through the heater. Possible dirty filter or blockage somewhere.

Old 06-14-09, 08:12 AM
The heater has enough flow , approx 30g per minute , filter is clear , i even removed element to be sure flow was OK. I may be wrong but when i looked into the inlet and out let tubes of the heater there is a metal water director , which sounds like it is moving up and down when i am getting this issue. That diverter must be controlled by something , because I can see it allows for a straight through by pass as well as an entry and exit for water during the heating cycle .

What controls this diverter ? Is it the preassure switch ?

Old 06-14-09, 10:36 AM
that is the bypass the does direct water through heater, sounds like the thermostat in it is bad, it looks like a car thermostat.

Old 06-14-09, 12:05 PM
Where is that located on the heater ?

Old 06-14-09, 04:37 PM
inside the header where plumbing enters heater. I'm pretty sure it has one, can you take a picture of the plumbing side going in heater.

Old 06-14-09, 06:06 PM
It has one , it is at inlet side connects to the front temp control.

So you know , I have 2 manually SHUT down the heater and can see the heat exchanger is super hot. The blower and the burner continue to operate while it bucks and shakes.

Plus while it is bucking i put my hand over the pool out let and i can feel the water stopping and starting . . It seams like the water is boiling within the heat exchanger if that makes sense.

Old 06-14-09, 06:13 PM
It makes sense, there is little water flow going through heat exchanger. I would not run it like that, will cause more damage. Need to get water going through heater.

Old 06-14-09, 06:22 PM
Ok with heater off i have perfect flow,, also all the safety sensors operate I checked them,,, so I am stumped , is it a thermostat or a heat exchanger problem

Old 06-15-09, 04:46 AM
when the heater is on it must be restricting your flow through the heater. What size hole do you have in your inlet fitting (eyeball)? Try removing it and running heater, remeber we are looking for flow not pressure.

Old 06-15-09, 06:21 PM
I got it figured out, it is the heat exchanger.. in the inlet pipe there is a stainless diverter to direct inlet water into it and hot water out of it.

Its weld was broken making it flap up and down as water entered the unit,, this caused the water to not flow freely into the heat exchanger and made it boil the water which could have made the exchanger burst.

BUT a happy ending,,, I called Hayward , and explained what was happening , and how i could see there diverter loose inside the inlet pipe..They said i was out of warranty BUT with out me even complaining they said a new heater core would be shipped to my door by Friday.

SO kudos to Hayward !~!~!~! I am floored they where so easy and happy to make things right !~!~!

Old 06-16-09, 08:33 AM
I have the exact same problem. Can someone post a contact number for Hayward as I can't find one.

Thanks

Old 06-16-09, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by bernice View Post
I have the exact same problem. Can someone post a contact number for Hayward as I can't find one.

Thanks
You have to fill out there customer service form then a email will arrive from a service rep .. In that email will be contact stuff.

Old 06-28-09, 10:44 AM
This is a follow up ..

Hayward sent me the heat exchanger and it took about 2 hours to install. The heater works great and one thing i did notice is the baffle in the new exchanger is welded better then in the original exchanger. Beer 4U2

Old 07-17-09, 09:37 AM
Called Hayward described sound. They sent new heat exchanger to service rep in my area he came and installed it no questions asked. Apparently defective part. From the time I called to the time it was installed....2 weeks! Works great no problems now.