Pentair MiniMax Plus 150M Won't Fire Up

Old 06-14-09, 05:56 PM
Pentair MiniMax Plus 150M Won't Fire Up

I have a 7 year old Pacfab (Pentair) MiniMax Plus 150M Natural Gas Heater. It has a Honeywell VS820C1456 gas valve and a honeywell TS8205 electronic control module. The pilot lights and stays lit but the burner will not ignite and fireup when pool is running.
If I disconnect the TH/PP and TH wire at the electronic module end and jump them together the burner fires up and heater runs but without any thermostatic control. I have swapped out the electronics module and no difference. Could the gas valve be bad?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-09, 06:03 PM
Not gas valve, problem is in your safety loop. Pressure switch, high limit, thermostat, roll out sensor. You can bypass each in the loop one at a time to find the bad one.

Old 04-03-10, 04:50 PM
I have had that same problem and my heater was brand new. So I had a Tech come out from the warranty, the problem was I wasn't getting enough pressure to flip the pressure switch to allow the burners to kick on. I have two bypass valves to bypass the heater when I want to. I didn't have them turned in the correct position, I had the valves opened in both the bypass and to the heater. Therefore there was not enough pressure going to the heater. Without having a pressure switch you could burn up your unit because there would not be enough cool water passing through it. SO, check your valves and the pressure in the inlet port. GOOD LUCK.

Old 07-18-14, 06:36 AM
Pool heater

Today I have a problem similar to the OP, however, after trying some of the things in the post and still having no luck, I smacked the gas valve with my fist and everything fired up and the heater in on?

Old 07-18-14, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
That's a sure way to fix a problem. You could have a defective/intermittent safety sensor. The only way to know is to use a volt/ohmmeter.

Old 06-11-15, 07:31 PM
Petair Heater won't light

What mV reading from the thermocouple should I get when I light the pilot? I'm trying to confirm that the TC is functioning correctly and checking voltage at the valve.
The valve appears to be rated for 750 mV but I am only measuring 250 mV at the valve.

Old 06-11-15, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

With the pilot light lit you should see a minimum of 500mv. Page 31 in the service manual link has a diagnostic routine.

MinimaxPlus service manual.pdf