Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs
Reload this Page >

HELP! Can I change pressure switch myself?

Old 06-17-09, 11:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

hi everyone, I am new to this forum and a pool novice. (please don't beat me up) I have a Pentair minimax CH 150. It is only a year old. The heater will fire up, run for a few minutes, then shut down, then refire. on and on. After talking with pool tech and trying different things( clean filter, run with no filter, to see if flow problem) didn't work. tried jumping pressure switch, this seemed to keep heater lit for a while, didnt shut down. I thought it was burning a little yellow so i shut off. So,,, pressure switch bad??part #472125 They want an $85 service call plus $85 an hour to fix plus parts. is this something i can do myself? or leave to the pros? If so, can anyone give advice and details on what to do? I see where adjusting the pressure switch should be left to the pros but can i simply change/swap out a new one? any help? thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-09, 01:52 PM
I would not recommend adjusting yourself, if not done properly the heater will keep running when no water is running through it. If it worked in the beginning it should not need adjusting. It could be bad or clogged. It is very easy to replace, just one nut and two wires. You can get a universal one usually around $10-$12

Old 06-17-09, 02:13 PM
D
thanks todrut are the new ones set correctly? so just unhook the 2 wires and unscrew? sounds too easy! lol do they have a gasket or do you have to use thread tape or ? I think I might try it before spending the $ any other thoughts? thanks!

Old 06-17-09, 03:55 PM
No gasket and no teflon tape, it is a compression nut. Good luck...

Old 06-17-09, 04:05 PM
D
on the pentair minimax ch it looks like it screws down into the head? looks like a white sealer/putty is present but maybe that is just coming from the head? do i just put a wrench on it and take it out, then use a wrench to tighten down ? sorry but I have a habt of screwing things up and making them worse lol

Old 06-17-09, 06:35 PM
My mistake, sorry. The pressure switch does screw directly into the header, you will want to use a thread sealer like rectorseal

Old 06-18-09, 08:07 AM
D
I think this switch is my problem. I "jumped" it by unplugging wire and bypassing it. the hea.ter stayed on, so this was my selfdiagnosis. I thought i could save $ if this was simple to do. I now need to find the part and give it a try. the switch doesnt have a to be adjusted does it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: